Job Title:Small Business Specialist
Department:General Services Administration
Agency:Office of Small Business Utilization
Job Announcement Number:1304075RMMP
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Monday, September 30, 2013 to
Thursday, October 24, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|1 vacancy in the following location:|
Atlanta, GA, USView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
- Current Federal employees serving on a career/career-conditional appointment;
- Reinstatement eligibles;
- CTAP/ICTAP in the local commuting area
- Veteran eligible for VEOA appointment.
You may have heard GSA called 'the government's landlord', but GSA is about more than just buildings...We're a vehicle management and acquisition service...a real estate manager...an IT solutions provider...a global supply chain manager...and more! GSA provides innovative solutions for Federal agencies that include products, services, workspace, and expertise to build a more high-performing, efficient, sustainable, and transparent government for the American people. And, since our jobs are as diverse as the services we provide, GSA is a great place to start, build, and expand your career.
Location: General Services Administration, Office of Small Business Utilization, (OSBU), Atlanta, GA.
GSA has been repeatedly named by the Partnership for Public Service as one of the 'Best Places to Work in the Federal Government'. As a Lead Small Business Specialist, you Champion opportunities for small business, and manage the Small Business Utilization program for the Southeast Sunbelt Region. You will serve as an advocate for government-wide compliance with all federal laws, regulations and policies.
GSA offers its employees a wide range of benefits including:
- Federal health insurance plans (choose from a wide range of plans)
- Life insurance coverage with several options to choose from
- Leave policies to help you take care of your personal, recreational, and health care needs
- Thrift Savings Plan (similar to a 401(k) plan)
- Flexible work schedules and telework
- Transit and child care subsidies
- Training and development
- Meet time-in-grade requirements within 30 days of closing date
- U.S. Citizenship or National
- Apply online (See How to Apply section.)
DUTIES:Back to top
Advocates federal government-wide compliance with all federal laws, regulations, and policies designed to maximize the participation of all designated small business categories in the federal marketplace.
Serves as a member of the acquisition planning team, reviews acquisition plans, participates in procurement management reviews, contractor compliance reviews and source evaluation boards to ensure maximum practicable opportunities for small businesses on projects at the prime and subcontract levels. Serves as expert advisor to GSA contracting officer's prime contractors and subcontractors to ensure compliance with subcontraction plans and procedures. Reviews, approves or disapproves the GSA Form 2689 (Small Business Analysis Record). Plans, conducts, promotes, and participates in numerous outreach events sponsored by GSA, Congressional or gubernatorial offices, other Federal agencies, states, cities, counties, professional and trade organizations, and chambers of commerce to promote and advance the small business programs. Is the point of contact for eSRS (Electronic Subcontracting Reporting System) for the region and assists contracting officers with the monitoring of small business achievements against contractors' plans. Creates an environment that promotes innovation, and empowerment in utilizing small businesses to accomplish the Government's business. Provides direct support to the Regional Administrator and Regional Commissioners. Serves as a primary program representative in meetings involving other internal and external organizations. Serves as a point of contact for the small business community. Provides individual counseling and assistance to industry and business concerns to enhance interest and participation in government procurement.
Performs other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
The GS-13 salary range starts at $85,500 per year, if you meet the following qualifications. You must meet all qualification and eligibility requirements within 30 days of the closing date of this announcement. To qualify applicants must demonstrate at least 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-12, level in the Federal service. Specialized experience is experience in providing advice and assistance to the business community on the Federal procurement/contracting process and the development of marketing strategies and materials. Examples of such experience include: developing marketing strategies and materials to promote the sales of goods and services of an organization; organizing procurement networking services; developing and presenting workshops to assist small, minority, and disadvantage businesses in dealing with a Federal agency.
If selected, you must meet the following conditions:
- Serve a one year probationary period (unless you have previously satisfied this requirement).
- Be able to make a direct deposit of your salary check to a financial organization.
- Males born after December 31, 1959 must have registered with the Selective Service.
- Complete a "Declaration of Federal Employment" (OF-306) to determine suitability for Federal employment.
- Undergo a background security investigation and receive a favorable adjudication.
- If you are not a current GSA employee, you must complete the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 to determine identity and employment (work status) eligibility. GSA will verify the information through the DHS e-Verify automated system. Any identified discrepancies must be resolved as a condition of continued employment.
- Be able to travel on official business.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
If you are found qualified for the position, your responses to the self-assessment vacancy questions will be used to assign a numerical score. If your responses to the vacancy questions are not supported by your resume then your score may be adjusted lower by the Human Resources Specialist. Scores are not augmented by Veteran's preference points for this type of announcement (Merit Promotion). You will be evaluated on the vacancy related questions that were designed to assess your overall possession of the following competencies/knowledge, skills, and abilities:
Expert knowledge and skill required to interpret, explain, and apply applicable laws and agency procurement policies, regulations, and procedures which affect the operation of and services offered through the Regional Office of Small Business Utilization.
Mastery knowledge of contracting procedures and methods to identify contractual opportunities for small business. Ability to clearly explain procedures, standard bid and contract language, subcontracting plans and procedures, the types of methods used.
Expert knowledge and skills necessary to research, evaluate, and format data in connection with the above mentioned program areas.
Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing to develop and promote public and community interest in the small business programs. Ability to plan, arrange, and conduct conferences, workshops, and other small business outreach efforts, and measure results.
A variety of assessments/assessment tools may be used to evaluate candidates for specific vacancies covered by this announcement. Candidates will be notified when further assessments are implemented and provided with instructions on how to access and complete the assessment(s). Be sure to APPLY EARLY as most assessments must be completed fully and submitted before the announcement closing.
To preview questions please click here.
BENEFITS:Back to top
GSA offers a comprehensive benefits package. To explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees, see Benefits
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS: ELIGIBLE
GSA does not accept applications or application materials that are received with Government-paid postage. Additional vacancies may be filled from this announcement as needed. This vacancy announcement does not preclude filling this position by other means, such as new appointment from an Office of Personnel Management or Delegated Examining list of eligibles, reassignment, transfer, reinstatement, or noncompetitive action. Management also has the right not to fill the position. Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses are not authorized for this position.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
You must submit a complete application including any required documents prior to 11:59 pm Eastern Time on the closing date of the Announcement. Errors or omissions may result in your not being considered for this vacancy. For information on applying for a GSA vacancy, please visit Applying for a GSA Job
We will only consider applications submitted through the online process listed below unless an exception has been approved by a representative of the HR Office listed on this announcement. A description of the online process is provided below:
- Select the "Apply Online" button. Log on to OPM's USAJOBS to access your existing resume or to create a new one.
- From your account, select which resume you wish to submit. You also have the option of attaching any required documents saved in your USAJOBS account. Click "Apply for this Position Now!"
- You will be redirected to GSA's automated system, GSAjobs. First time users will be asked to respond to "Account Creation" questions. If you are a return GSAjobs user, click the links on the left to review and update any necessary profile information before continuing on with the application process.
- You will be prompted to respond to "Eligibility Questions" which will be used to determine your eligibility to apply for various types of vacancies. If you are a return user, these fields will pre-populate with your previous responses. Please review and make any necessary changes before proceeding.
- Next, you will be asked to respond to vacancy specific questions regarding your qualifications and the knowledge, skills, abilities, and/or other competencies required to successfully perform this position.
- Submit any required documents (see below). A "Vacancy Documents" page is automatically displayed by the GSAjobs system. Most documents become part of your permanent electronic file and you need to submit them only once unless you wish to update. You can view the Description column next to each form to determine if a previously submitted document is on file. For each document you must submit, select one of the following options in the "Action" column:
- "Upload" - Using the Document Manager, upload document (.gif, .jpeg, .png, .rtf, .pdf, and .doc format only) directly from your computer;
- "USAJOBS" - Using the Document Manager, download a document you previously attached from your USAJOBS account for this vacancy.
- "FAX" - Print the Fax Cover Sheet, then fax cover sheet and document(s) to the listed phone number. We strongly recommend you read the "Fax Instructions" provided on the Document Manager page prior to printing the Fax Cover Sheet and faxing your information.
- At this point, if you are determined to be qualified for the position based upon your previous responses, additional assessment questions may be presented.
- Finally, you'll receive an Application Review Page which allows you to review the information that will be submitted. You can save a copy of your application by selecting the 'Save PDF' button. Then, YOU MUST CLICK THE 'FINISH' BUTTON to submit your application.
If you cannot complete any part of the application process listed above, contact the Human Resources Office/representative listed on the announcement prior to the announcement deadline for instructions on how to proceed. Be sure to receive prior HR approval to deviate from these instructions so that your application will be considered.
Please review the following to determine which documents you must submit in order to complete your application. ICTAP/CTAP: Submit proof of eligibility including agency notice; SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action (or similar agency form); and most recent performance rating. VEOA applicants, VRA applicants, and 30% or More Disabled Veterans::
You must submit a copy of Certificate of Release or Discharge From Active Duty, DD-214. The DD-214 must show the type of discharge and dates of active duty (member 4 copy). If you are a disabled veteran, or are applying under VRA or VEOA as a spouse, widow/widower, or mother of a veteran, you must submit the following in addition to the DD-214: ((1) completed SF-15
form; and (2) proof of your entitlement. A list of documents which serve as acceptable proof of entitlement is indicated on the SF-15 form. Current Federal Employees or Reinstatement Eligibles:
Submit your latest SF-50 or similar agency form that shows the position, title, series, and grade as well as Tenure Group 1 (Career) or 2 (Conditional) in the competitive service. Note: GSA employees (except for OIG employees) are not required to submit a SF-50. This document will be used to determine your eligibility to be considered under this announcement. People With Disabilities:
Submit proof of eligibility and certification of job readiness. Select the link People With Disabilities
for information on eligibility and documentation required. Applicants Applying Under Other Appointment Authorities:
Submit proof of your eligibility under the appropriate appointment authority. See USAJOBS's Resource Center
for more information. Eligible
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
If your application is complete, we will review your application to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. We will further evaluate each applicant who meets the basic qualifications on the knowledge, skills, abilities, and/or competencies required of the position. The most highly qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability and/or security background investigation. A final job offer for this position is typically made within 40 days after the deadline for applications. Thank you for your interest in working for U.S. General Services Administration!