All qualification requirements must be met by the earlier of the entrance date or closing date of this announcement, Thursday, January 02, 2014.
Selective Placement Factor (screen-out) Minimum Age Requirement. This position has a mandatory requirement that applicants must be at least 21 years of age; please support this information in your résumé or you will receive an ineligible rating
Selective Placement Factor (screen-out) Law Enforcement Commission. You must possess or be immediately eligible for a full (Level I or II) NPS Law Enforcement commission by entrance on duty; please provide your commission number with expiration date or your anticipated graduation date in your résumé or you will receive an ineligible rating
Selective Placement Factor (screen-out) Driver License. You must possess a current valid state driver license in good standing. Upon tentative selection, you will be required to submit driver license information. If you do not meet the requirements of this selective factor, you will be rated ineligible for these positions
Selective Placement Factor (screen-out) Emergency Response. You must possess or be able to obtain certification for an EMT-Basic, paramedic or park medic; please provide a copy of your current certification(s), if any, (i.e. Standard First Aid, CPR, EMT, etc.) If you do not meet the requirements of this selective factor, you will be rated ineligible for these positions
Qualifications: To be considered minimally qualified for this position, you must demonstrate the ability to perform law enforcement duties as outlined below. Experience may have been gained in the public or the private sector and may have been paid or unpaid.
Specialized Experience for GS-05: one year of specialized experience at the GS-04 level in the Federal service which provided you with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the duties of the position. Examples of specialized experience could include Park Guide or tour leader; law enforcement or investigative work; archeological or historical preservation research work; forestry and/or fire management work in a park, recreation, or conservation area; management, assistant, or program specialist work involving the development and implementation of policy related to protection, conservation, or management of park areas or similar operations; or other similar work. OR Education: 4 year course of study above high school leading to a bachelor's degree with 24 semester hours of related course work in a related field such as natural resource management, natural sciences, earth sciences, history, archeology, anthropology, park and recreation management, law enforcement/police science, social sciences, museum sciences, business administration, public administration, behavioral sciences, sociology, or other closely related subjects pertinent to the management and protection of natural and cultural resources. OR Combination of Experience and Education: equivalent combinations of education and experience; the total of each must equal at least 100 percent to qualify.
Conditions of Employment:
· You will be required to sign a Pathways Participant Agreement which specifies the conditions of your employment as we've indicated in this job announcement.
· You must continue to meet the Pathways Program requirements throughout the duration of your appointment. To verify that you do, we will require proof of your continued enrollment and good standing each semester or grading period throughout your internship. Failure to do so will result in termination of your internship and employment.
There is NO promotion potential for this position.
To receive consideration, you must include all education information in the USAJOBS Résumé sections as noted below. Failure to do so may prevent further consideration.
School name, current enrollment status (e.g., enrolled as of month/year), completion date of degree/level attained or expected date of degree completion, academic major/minor, cumulative grade point average, and total credits earned
Relevant coursework related to the duties of the position, and/or statement on how your career goals meet the duties of the position.
Technical or vocational school; 2-year or 4-year college or university; Graduate or professional school (e.g., law school, medical school)
Transcript Requirement: You must submit a legible copy of transcripts from an accredited institution with your name, school name, credit hours, course level, major(s), and grade-point average or class ranking. Transcripts do not need to be official, but if you are selected for this position, you must provide official transcripts before you begin work. Failure to submit the required transcript(s) will make you ineligible for further consideration.
If this information is not provided, your education/career goals may not be appropriately evaluated and you may lose consideration for this position.
For further information on creditable education, visit: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html and http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
· New employees or supervisors must complete a one-year probationary period
· The entire period served under the Internship Program counts as a trial period
· Driver License: This position may require that you operate a government (or private) motor vehicle as part of your official duties, if so, a valid State driver license is required. As a condition of employment, you will be required to submit a completed GSA Form 3607, Motor Vehicle Operator's License and Driving Record. You must also submit (within a State sealed envelope or submitted directly by the State authorities), and at your own expense, all certified driving records from all States that disclose all valid driver licenses, whether current or past, possessed by you. Your employment, after your tentative selection, will be contingent upon receipt of these documents in a timely manner and that those documents establish, to the satisfaction of the selecting official, that you possess a valid driver license
· National Park Service (NPS) uniformed position. You may be required to wear a uniform and comply with NPS uniform standards. If so, you will be provided with a uniform allowance to defray the cost of the uniform.
· Direct Deposit of pay is required.
· Male applicants born after 12/31/59 and must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (for additional information see
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your rating will be based on both your responses to the occupational/assessment questionnaire and the information stated in your résumé. The assessment questions relate to the following competencies that are required to perform the work of this position.
· Ability to perform law enforcement functions
· Skills in emergency situations
· Knowledge of resource protection and management activities
· Ability to communicate and work effective with others
You must include months, years and hours per week worked to receive credit for your work experience. One year of specialized experience is equivalent to 12 months at 40 hours per week. Part-time hours are prorated. You will not receive any credit for experience that does not indicate exact hours per week or is listed as "varies."
All answers provided in the on-line process must be substantiated in your application package. If it is determined that your work history, competencies, and/or supporting documents do not support your responses, you may be rated ineligible and not referred to the selecting official. Please ensure that your work history provides enough detail to support your answers to the competencies. A panel may be used to review your application.
Category rating procedures will be used to rate and rank candidates. Candidates will be ranked into 3 categories:
Best Qualified - applicants possessing experience which substantially exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors, and who are proficient in most of the requirements of the job and can perform effectively in the position.
Well Qualified - applicants possessing experience which exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors, and who are proficient in most of the requirements of the job.
Qualified - applicants possessing experience which meets the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors, and who are proficient in some, but not all of the requirements of the job.
Information for Veterans: Veterans Preference applies to category rating. Within each quality category, veteran's preference eligibles are listed first, including CP, CPS, XP, and TP. In addition, veterans who have a 10% or more service-connected compensable disability (CP or CPS) are placed at the top of the best qualified category.