Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) works in partnership with the entire health care community to improve quality and efficiency in an evolving health care system and provides leadership in the broader health care marketplace. Our effectiveness depends on the capabilities of a dedicated, professional staff that is committed to supporting these objectives. A career with CMS offers the opportunity to get involved on important national health care issues and be part of a dynamic, fast-paced, and highly visible organization.
For more information on CMS, please see: http://www.cms.gov/
WHO MAY APPLY: This is a competitive vacancy, open to all United States Citizens or Nationals, advertised under Delegated Examining Authority. Selections made under this vacancy announcement will be processed as new appointments to the civil service. Current civil service employees would therefore be given new appointments to the civil service; however, benefits, time served and all other Federal entitlements would remain the same. Click here for more information about US Citizenship and other eligibility information.
Additional selections may be made from this announcement for similar positions within CMS in the same geographical location.
This position is located in the State Exchange Group (SEG), Center of Consumer Information & Insurance Oversight (CCIIO), Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). Duty location is Bethesda, MD.
In this position you will serve as an Information Technology Specialist performing work related to a wide variety of tasks related to information technology (IT) infrastructure, architecture, security, and IT policies and standards. Specifically, you will:
- Coordinate IT project implementation and provide overall technical expertise and guidance.
- Analyze short, medium, and long-range projects for solutions of complex operational, architecture, security, and/or policy issues.
- Make recommendations for policies, procedures, and actions pertaining to IT investments and data processing operations.
- Monitor, plan, develop, and implement complex projects, studies, and analyses.
- Develop guidance, policies, and procedures to ensure information systems reliability and accessibility and to prevent and defend against unauthorized access to systems, networks, and data.
- Conduct risk and vulnerability assessments; system security evaluations, audits, and reviews; and analyses of security contingency plans and disaster recovery procedures to identify vulnerabilities, risks, and protection needs.
- Promote interoperability, exchange of information, and sharing of data and ensures alignment of internal data management practices with HHS and Federal government regulations and policies.
- Evaluate, select, and advise on the application of data architecture modeling tool sets used to document, maintain, and enhance the architectural planning process.
- Provides internal reporting on IT governance activities, such as status of system's compliance, enterprise-wide information security, and/or system development life cycle policies and standards requirements.