"Due to the government shut-down this job announcement closing date is extended to Wednesday, November 13, 2013."
Become a part of our mission to maintain and strengthen the vitality of the US science and engineering enterprise. For over 60 years, the National Science Foundation (NSF) has remained the premier Federal agency supporting basic research at the frontiers of discovery across all fields, as well as science and engineering education at all levels. This job announcement for an Engineering/Science Analyst position may be used to fill one or more positions in any division in the Directorate for Engineering (ENG). The NSF promotes the progress of engineering in the United States in order to enable the Nation's capacity to perform. ENG invests in research and education that enables discovery and advances fundamental scientific and engineering knowledge. These Investments aim to build our nation’s capacity for innovation that can lead over time to the creation of new shared wealth and a better quality of life. Most NSF programs in engineering are funded through the ENG, which also sponsors the NSF's Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) program. The employee in this position will report to a Division Director and will primarily provide support for activities and programs within the division. The position will encompass a wide spectrum of duties in support of the Division's mission including scientific and technical issues influencing policy and process administration. In addition, the employee will provide scientific and technical support for reports, analyses and presentations regarding the research portfolio of the Division to aid in portfolio assessment and inform decisions made by division management regarding the technical directions of its research and related activities. These activities will involve day-to-day interactions with staff throughout the Division, Directorate, other Directorates, and with other Federal Government research organizations and coordinating groups.
More information about ENG and its Programs can be found at http://www.nsf.gov/dir/index.jsp?org=ENG.
The individual selected for this position will serve as an Engineering/Science Analyst. The Engineering/Science Analyst:
- Conducts the necessary research to develop one-of-a-kind reports, studies, and analyses on scientific/engineering topics supported by the Division;
- Assists in the creation of presentations, including talking points, speeches, or presentation slides;
- Performs literature analysis and summarize findings of prior impact (scientific and technical, economic, or societal) of a division’s portfolio;
- Participates in other NSF and interagency activities related to assessment and evaluation or programs in science and engineering research and education;
- Serves as a point of contact for research result highlight development for the division;
- Supports and provides outreach acitivities for the division, particularly to those programs at the intersections to the division’s research portfolio;
- Assists the Division Director and Deputy Division Director in the oversight of Committee of Visitor processes, providing guidance to division and programs on results-oriented acitivities;
- Draws on knowledge of program portfolios and results to assist in the merit review and award oversight processes as appropriate, particularly for the division’s multidisciplinary activities; and
- Serves as the division’s interface to OAD/OLPA public relations and press-related activities concerning division’s science/engineering programs.