Texas Military Forces
LONE STAR VALUES
Loyalty Bear true faith and allegiance to the State and Nation, Mission and Family
Opportunity Cultivate an environment for ALL to excel
Networked Connect to communities, families, interagency partners and components
Ethics Honor the public trust, exceed standards and expectations
Selfless Service Place the welfare of the Texas Military Forces, State and Nation first
Texas Spirit Embrace the courageous spirit of our people, history and culture
Adaptability Act with understanding, innovation, resourcefulness, flexibility & urgency
Ready Prepare mentally, physically and spiritually to deploy at home and abroad
TEXAS ARMY NATIONAL GUARD
EXCEPTED TECHNICIAN VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
To inquire about your application status, call the Human Resources Office: 512-782-6725
This position is located in Army G-3, Safety and Occupational Health Office, Camp Mabry, Austin, TX. The purpose of this position is to provide assistance in implementing and administering the troop and operational safety support programs.
NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED: This is anExcepted Service position that requires active membership in a compatible military assignment in the Texas Army National Guard and wear of the military uniform.
Open Areas of Consideration: IN-STATE Excepted. This includes:
- All currently employed full-time permanent and indefinite personnel of the Texas Army National Guard.
- All current members of the Texas Army National Guard.
Appointment Factors: This is a Permanent Excepted Position open to Enlisted members ranking E-7 or below, Warrant Officers ranks Not to Exceed W-2. This is not a Bargaining Unit position.
Remarks: Position is being advertised as a GS-09. Trainee will be acceptable and start at the pay grade GS-07, then promoted to GS-09 upon completion of training requirements.
PERMANENT CHANGE OF STATION: PCS expenses are not authorized.
THE TEXAS NATIONAL GUARD IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
PLEASE NOTE: ACCEPTANCE OF A MILITARY FEDERAL TECHNICIAN POSITION MAY RESULT IN TERMINATION AND / OR REPAYMENT OF MILITARY INCENTIVES. PLEASE CHECK YOUR CONTRACT AND CONTACT YOUR SERVICING EDUCATION SERVICES (INCENTIVES) OFFICE OR THE RECRUITING/RETENTION OFFICE.
As a Safety Specialist with the Texas Army National Guard (ARNG), your duties will include, but will not be limited to:
- Provides safety related expertise to unit commanders and supervisors in the establishment of techniques and procedures for the elimination or control of unsafe acts (conditions), environments or hazards.
- Conducts safety assistance visits to units during annual training, convoy, range and other related tactical operations to ensure compliance will all safety regulations and guidelines and to minimize accident risk.
- Provides technical assistance in accident investigations. Conducts on-site investigations in cases of multiple injury accidents to determine causes and procedures for eliminating causal factors.
- Collects, reviews, analyzes, and investigates accident reports submitted to the State Safety and Occupational Health Office, Ground Safety Section. Coordinates and assists the collateral duty unit safety officer/NCO in the preparation of, and timely submission of DA Forms 285 to the U.S. Army Safety Center and ARNG Safety Office.
- Conducts periodic and unscheduled surveys and inspections of ARNG facilities to determine compliance with Occupational Safety Health Act (OSHA) and other regulatory requirements. Prepares reports based on survey findings and analyzes mishap trends. Assists the senior Safety Specialist in the assignment of risk assessment codes, and abatement plans. Observes work methods and recommends corrective measures to eliminate unsafe work practices.
- Prepares training materials and conducts safety training classes, demonstrations, seminars, pre-annual training briefings and other briefings as required. Prepares graphs, charts and information for use in determining accident trends. Analyzes factors such as the number of accidents and causes. Calculates ratios as to the cause and results. Develops countermeasure procedures, by recommending changes and remedies that will reduce accident rate and reverse trends.
- Assists the senior safety specialist in the promotion of the safety programs. Advises personnel on the need for safety and health protective equipment based on work environments and established regulatory requirements.
- Conducts construction site inspections of facilities and contractor personnel to determine compliance with applicable safety code requirements (OSHA, National Fire Codes, etc.).
- Conducts surveys of indoor/outdoor ranges within the state. Advises the senior safety specialist of their status and the necessary requirements to apply for waivers for non-standard ranges.
- Assists in the preparation of regulatory, quarterly and annual safety reports and other documents required by NGB, U.S. Department of Labor (DOL), and United States Army Safety Center (USASC). Maintains log of recordable and reportable accidents/incidents within the state.
- May attend and participate in unit safety council meetings to determine potential problem areas and provide guidance in proper safety procedures.
- Provides guidance to unit commanders in the storage, handling and transportation of munitions, explosives and hazardous materials. Studies the safety impact of transporting these items and makes recommendations to ensure regulatory compliance. Recommends the procurement and distribution of safety promotional materials.
- Performs other duties as assigned.