Office of Inspector General (OIG) is dedicated to helping the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) ensure that veterans and their families receive the care, support, and recognition earned through service to their country. OIG strives to help VA achieve its vision of becoming the best managed service delivery organization in Government. OIG continues to be responsive to the needs of customers by working with the VA management team to identify and address important issues.
OIG is organized into three line elements: the Offices of Investigations, Audits and Evaluations, and Healthcare Inspections; along with the Office of Contract Review and the Office of Management and Administration. In addition to the Washington, DC, headquarters, OIG has offices located in more than 30 cities throughout the country.
The Student Trainee (Auditor), located in the Office of Audits and Evaluations, serves as a project team member conducting audits, evaluations and other reviews involving various aspects of VA programs and functions.
- This position is a Temporary Internship position not to exceed one year.
- You must be at least 16 years of age.
- You must have a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0.
- You must be a US Citizen.
- An application limit of 300 is being placed on this announcement.
If selected, you must 1) sign a Pathways Internship Program agreement; 2) provide official documentation of enrollment and registration; 3) provide verification of academic status (transcript) at the end of each academic semester/quarter; 4) participate in mentorship opportunities; 5) complete 40 hours of professional development training; 6) prepare and implement an Individual Development Plan; 7) maintain satisfactory performance; and 8) complete 640 hours of work experience in order to be considered for conversion to a Career or Career-Conditional appointment. You may be made permanent upon graduation if you meet all qualifications, eligibility, and educational requirements, are recommended for conversion by your supervisor, and funding is available.
The Student Trainee (Auditor) will perform the following duties:
- Compile data from multiple sources using software programs that allow for data manipulation and analysis.
- Prepare written products describing work results, including findings, conclusions, and any proposed solutions or recommendations.
- Assist staff in conducting surveys of programs and operations to gain an understanding of the review process and the extent of internal controls designed to achieve program objectives and to prevent or deter fraud, waste, and mismanagement.
- Assist Auditors and Management Analysts on site during interviews by objectively documenting and recording information and collecting and maintaining evidence as a basis for observations.
- Make oral and written presentations to managers and others that discuss work results and impact, and propose solutions to address identified problems.