Job Title: Student Trainee (Auditor)Job Announcement Number: 13-VAOIG-138X
Department: Department Of Veterans Affairs
Agency: Veterans Affairs, Inspector General
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Hour
Friday, September 27, 2013 to
Friday, October 11, 2013
SERIES & GRADE:
Position is at the full performance level. -
Part-time position (not to exceed one year)
WHO MAY APPLY:
This opportunity is open to Students who are enrolled on at least a half-time basis, or accepted for enrollment, in a qualifying degree program or certificate program of a high school, accredited college or university.
IT'S ANTICIPATED THAT THERE WILL BE SIGNIFICANT INTEREST IN THIS ANNOUNCEMENT. AS A RESULT, THE ANNOUNCEMENT WILL CLOSE AT 11:59PM ON THE DATE OF RECEIPT OF THE 300TH APPLICATION OR AT 11:59PM ET ON October 11, 2013; WHICHEVER OCCURS FIRST.
Office of Inspector General (OIG) is dedicated to helping the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) ensure that veterans and their families receive the care, support, and recognition earned through service to their country. OIG strives to help VA achieve its vision of becoming the best managed service delivery organization in Government. OIG continues to be responsive to the needs of customers by working with the VA management team to identify and address important issues.
OIG is organized into three line elements: the Offices of Investigations, Audits and Evaluations, and Healthcare Inspections; along with the Office of Contract Review and the Office of Management and Administration. In addition to the Washington, DC, headquarters, OIG has offices located in more than 30 cities throughout the country.
The Student Trainee (Auditor), located in the Office of Audits and Evaluations, serves as a project team member conducting audits, evaluations and other reviews involving various aspects of VA programs and functions.
- This position is a Temporary Internship position not to exceed one year.
- You must be at least 16 years of age.
- You must have a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0.
- You must be a US Citizen.
- An application limit of 300 is being placed on this announcement.
If selected, you must 1) sign a Pathways Internship Program agreement; 2) provide official documentation of enrollment and registration; 3) provide verification of academic status (transcript) at the end of each academic semester/quarter; 4) participate in mentorship opportunities; 5) complete 40 hours of professional development training; 6) prepare and implement an Individual Development Plan; 7) maintain satisfactory performance; and 8) complete 640 hours of work experience in order to be considered for conversion to a Career or Career-Conditional appointment. You may be made permanent upon graduation if you meet all qualifications, eligibility, and educational requirements, are recommended for conversion by your supervisor, and funding is available.
DUTIES:Back to top
The Student Trainee (Auditor) will perform the following duties:
- Compile data from multiple sources using software programs that allow for data manipulation and analysis.
- Prepare written products describing work results, including findings, conclusions, and any proposed solutions or recommendations.
- Assist staff in conducting surveys of programs and operations to gain an understanding of the review process and the extent of internal controls designed to achieve program objectives and to prevent or deter fraud, waste, and mismanagement.
- Assist Auditors and Management Analysts on site during interviews by objectively documenting and recording information and collecting and maintaining evidence as a basis for observations.
- Make oral and written presentations to managers and others that discuss work results and impact, and propose solutions to address identified problems.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
You must meet all eligibility and qualification requirements by the closing of the announcement. Do not overstate or understate your level of experience and demonstrated capability. You should be aware that your ratings are subject to evaluation and verification based on the resume and other relevant documents you submit, as well as through verification of references as appropriate. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your stated level of experience and demonstrated capability. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you or for dismissing you from the position following acceptance.
Basic Qualifications: You MUST meet the definition of a STUDENT for the duration of your appointment.
The definition of a student is: an individual accepted for enrollment or enrolled and seeking a degree (diploma, certificate, etc.) in a qualifying educational institution, on a full or half-time basis (as defined by the institution in which the student is enrolled), including awardees of the Harry S. Truman Foundation Scholarship Program under Public Law 93–842. Students need not be in actual physical attendance, so long as all other requirements are met. An individual who needs to complete less than the equivalent of half an academic/vocational or technical course-load immediately prior to graduating is still considered a student for purposes of this Program.
In order to qualify for this position, you must also meet one of the following requirements:
Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience which includes: experience performing administrative and/or clerical support using computer software applications, automated systems and the internet. In addition, oral and written communication are required for this position, including developing and providing presentations to audiences; emailing internal and external customers; and speaking to external customers with diversebackgrounds; OR
Education: Bachelor’s degree or four full years of progressively higher education. This education must have been obtained in an accredited business, secretarial or technical school, junior college, college or university. Preferred Majors Include: Accounting/Auditing or related fields of study; OR
Combination of Education and Experience: A combination of qualifying education and specialized experience described above may be used to meet total qualification requirements at the GS-05 level.
Candidates must meet all eligibility and qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application includes your:
1. Resume - Applicants should address specialized experience in the resume.
2. Response to online questions, and
3. Transcripts- Proof of enrollment (REQUIRED).
We use a multi-step process to evaluate and refer applicants:
Your rating will be based on both your responses to the Assessment Questionnaire and the information stated in your resume. The assessment questions relate to the following competencies that are required to perform the work of this position:
- Research and Analysis;
- Software/Automated Systems;
- Written Communication; and
- Oral Communication.
Please Note: ALL answers provided in the on-line process must be substantiated in your application package. Upon review, if it is determined that your work history, narrative responses, and/or supporting documents do not support your answer choices, you may be rated ineligible, not qualified, or your score may be modified.
Veteran’s preference is applied after applicants complete their assessment. Veterans awarded preference are required by law to be considered before non-preference-eligibles in the applicant pool. Qualified veterans with a service-connected disability of 10% or more will be placed at the top of the highest quality category. To preview questions please click here.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
The following instructions outline our application process. You must complete this application process and submit any required documents by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) on the closing date of this announcement. We are available to assist you during business hours (normally 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., Monday - Friday). If applying online poses a hardship, please contact us by noon ET on the announcement's closing date.
VAOIG provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis. Please contact us if you require this for any part of the application and hiring process.
Step 1 - Create or Upload a Resume with USAJOBS
. We suggest you go to the end of the Qualifications and Evaluations section of the job announcement to preview the online questions that you will answer. You may need to customize your resume to ensure that it supports your responses to these questions. Resume Tips.
Step 2 - Apply Online Click "Apply Online."
You will be directed to USAJOBS
where you must select a resume. If you have documents uploaded to USAJOBS, you may select those you wish to submit as well.
After selecting a resume (and documents, if applicable), click "Apply for this position now!" and follow the prompts to register (if you haven't already done so), answer the online questions, and submit all required documents. You will have the opportunity to submit documents via 3 different options: 1) download from USAJOBS, 2) upload from your computer, or 3) fax.
You can update your application or documents anytime while the announcement is open. To do so, log into your USAJOBS account and click on "Application Status." Click on the position title, and then select "Apply Online" to continue.
TO BE CONSIDERED ALL APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING:
- Resume - Make certain that your resume fully addresses your qualifications for this position.
- A Form OF-306 - Declaration for Federal Employment Form, MUST be completed and included with your package for you to receive consideration for this vacancy.
- Transcripts - You MUST submit a copy of your transcript(s) designating semester or quarter hours earned or a course listing for the appropriate job specific question showing the type of information that appears on a transcript such as course title, department, hours earned (semester or quarter), and grade to ensure proper credit. You may submit unofficial transcripts with your application. However, if selected for the position, you will be required to submit your official transcript. All academic degrees and course work must be from accredited or pre-accredited institutions recognized by the United States Department of Education.
- Current Proof of Enrollment: You MUST submit a copy of your current schedule as proof of enrollment.
- Foreign Education: If you are qualifying based on foreign education, submit proof of creditability of education as evaluated by a credentialing agency. Please note that if you do not provide all required information, as specified in this announcement, you may lose consideration for this position (or lose the special consideration for which you may be eligible).
- VETERANS' PREFERENCE DOCUMENTATION
Please note that if you do not provide all required information, as specified in this announcement, you may lose consideration for this position (or lose the special consideration for which you may be eligible).
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
You may check the status of your application for this position at any time by logging into your account at www.usajobs.gov and checking your application status. We also recommend you opt to receive status update emails through USAJOBS.
Please notify us if your contact information changes after the closing date of the announcement. Also, note that if you provide an email address that is inaccurate or if your mailbox is full or blocked (e.g., spam-blocker), you may not receive important communication that could affect your consideration for this position.