This position is located in the Animal Care Sciences, of the National Zoological Park (NZP). The incumbent serves as the Curator of Primates and is responsible for maintaining excellence in all aspects of the care and welfare of the animals in these areas, including gorillas, orangutans and an assortment of other exotic animals. The incumbent supervises a staff of animal caretakers.
The Smithsonian Institution values and seeks a diverse workforce. Join us in "Inspiring Generations through Knowledge and Discovery."
- Plans, organizes, directs, and supervises staff and their activities.
- Provides authoritative advice and counsel to management on complex problems and issues relating to the care, husbandry, captive management, breeding and study of relevant taxa.
- Works as a principal member of teams comprising staff and others to help conceptualize, design, construct animal facilities, ranging from single enclosures to entire buildings and complexes.
- Provides expertise on animal housing requirements, animal care needs, health, reproduction, and staffing needs for facilities construction and renovation.
- Facilitates scientific investigation (both basic and applied research) with staff and partners in the areas of species biology, captive animal management, reproduction, behavior, and population sustainability.