The Department of Veterans Affairs is interested in attracting the best talent for our diverse cadre of SES members from within VA, the Federal government and the private sector. We have streamlined our recruitment process and now only require you to submit a 5 page resume to apply for this position. Because of this improvement, we are only announcing our positions for 14 days.
This position serves as the principal advisor to the Assistant Secretary for Human Resources and Administration and other key officials within the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) on matters pertaining to VA's human resources management policies, programs, practices, and applicable laws and regulations. The Deputy Assistant Secretary for Office of Human Resources Management (DAS/OHRM) has overall responsibility for leadership of the Office of Human Resources Management with a budget of $64,000,000. In carrying out the duties of the position, the DAS/OHRM actively collaborates with executive level leadership to ensure that the work of the organization is strategically linked to the direction of the business of the Department and that VA is regarded in the Federal community both as an HR leader and an employer of choice.
VA structures its SES positions into pay bands. This is a pay band 2 position and the salary range is $119,554-$173,600.
A recruitment/relocation incentive and/or Appraised Value Offer (AVO) (formerly Guaranteed Home Buyout) may be authorized.
The Deputy Assistant Secretary (DAS) for Human Resources Management is responsible to the Assistant Secretary for Human Resources and Administration and other key officials within the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) on matters pertaining to VA's human resources management policies, programs, practices, and applicable laws and regulations. The DAS has overall responsibility for leadership of the Office of Human Resources Management (OHRM). The responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Serves as the principal advisor to the Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary, Human Resources Administration and other key officials to meet the mission, goals and objectives of the Department through a strategically aligned and customer-focused human resources management program.
- Plans, develops, and executes customer-focused programs, policies, and products that are strategically aligned with VA's lines of business through subordinate managers.
- Serves as the principal advisor in all matters affecting compensation, recognition, and accountability of employees.
- Ensures all matters requiring the Secretary's consideration meet governing requirements and reflect sound human resources programs and policies.
- Provides strategic consulting services to VA's senior leadership regarding effective executive management approaches to achieve the best and most efficient business practices and processes.
- Develops external partnerships with other public sector departments and agencies and private sector organizations including the Office of Personnel Management, General Accountability office, Merit Systems Protection Board, OMB, the National Academy of Public Administration, and counterpart executives in leading edge private sector companies.
- Represents VA interests before Congress and the Office of Management and Budget.