Job Title: Industry EconomistJob Announcement Number: DOE-HQ-EI-13-00511-MP
Department: Department Of Energy
Agency: Department of Energy
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Thursday, September 26, 2013 to
Thursday, October 10, 2013
SERIES & GRADE:
1 vacancy in the following location:
Washington, DC, USView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
THIS POSITION IS OPEN ONLY TO CURRENT
HEADQUARTERS DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY EMPLOYEES WITH
The Department of Energy's overarching mission is to advance the national, economic, and energy security of the U.S. through scientific and technological innovation and the environmental cleanup of the national nuclear weapons complex. With DOE you'll have the flexibility and freedom to explore a world of possibilities through a wealth of exciting and challenging career opportunities. By joining DOE, you can hone your career skills while helping to secure the U.S. future and make a real difference in the lives of Americans and people around the world. To learn more about the DOE, please visit our website the following link DOE.
This position is located in the Coal and Uranium Analysis Team (Team) in the Office of Electricity, Coal, Nuclear, and Uranium Analysis (ECNRA), Assistant Administrator for Energy Analysis, Energy Information Administration (EIA). This position is established to provide an expert analyst to lead complex projects and conduct economic analyses for the Team pertaining to the nuclear power energy sector that are important to agency decision makers, and will report to the supervisory Team lead. The successful candidate will serve as a subject matter expert in nuclear energy analysis and the nuclear fuel cycle, particularly in regards to spent fuel storage and reprocessing.
Assignments involve leading data collection and analysis operations that require oversight of contractors and coordination with other offices in the Department of Energy (DOE); compiling data and analysis on spent fuel, nuclear industry performance, and uranium reserves for the short-term energy outlook, IAEA publications, and other reporting responsibilities; and serving as a technical expert and stakeholder liaison. As needed, this position is also responsible for cross-cutting economic analyses and survey operations associated with any of the energy sources or other program responsibilities for which the Team is responsible. These assignments involve unique problems, and require creativity, innovative techniques, advanced research techniques, and consideration of the effects of new and emerging technologies, rapidly changing industry practices, mergers and restructurings, new regulations, and other changes in the world and national economies and markets affecting production, pricing, supply and distribution patterns.
- You must be a United States Citizen.
- This employer participates in the e-Verify program.
- Relocation is at your own expense.
- See "Other Information" section regarding Selective Service requirements.
DUTIES:Back to top
As Industry Economist, you will:
- Leads major projects involving data collection and analysis operations important to agency decision makers.
- Develops, designs, performs and documents a broad range of economic analyses involving current and projected pricing, production, supply and distribution patterns, conditions, and problems pertaining to nuclear power.
- Monitors and conducts studies. Generates ideas for new programs, policies, studies, and approaches in assigned subject areas.
- Serve as technical expert and industry liaison for civilian waste information and analysis.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
On line resumes of qualified candidates must describe at least one year of specialized experience.
Specialized experience is defined as:
- Experience in nuclear energy analysis, including spent fuel storage, and managing data collection and analysis operations requiring technical oversight of contract efforts.
Experience must have been equivalent to at least the GS-13 level in the Federal service.
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS REQUIREMENTS: Your online resume must demonstrate that you possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs/Competencies) (NOTE: Applicants need not prepare a written responses to these KSAs/competencies, unless asked in the online application).
- Mastery of one or more specialized areas of economics sufficient to apply new analytical developments, methodologies and research findings to broad studies of an unprecedented nature.
- Skill in coordinating extensive projects in assigned areas of responsibility. Projects are characterized by high visibility, unusual urgency or program criticality.
- Ability to use advanced techniques and the modification and extension of theories, precepts and practices of economics and related sciences and disciplines.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with customers, information sources, project team members and professionals in other organizations.
- Expert knowledge of a full range of economic analyses techniques.
- Knowledge of complex subjects and industrial operations and practices under study so that conclusions reflect real word environments.
- Skill in articulating and negotiating very complex and sensitive issues with officials of diverse perspectives.
Economist Basic Requirements:
A. Degree: economics, that included at least 21 semester hours in economics and 3 semester hours in statistics, accounting, or calculus.
B. Combination of education and experience -- courses equivalent to a major in economics, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
EDUCATION FROM FOREIGN INSTITUTIONS: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the above requirements if you can show that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States (PROVIDING SUCH EVIDENCE IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY). PROOF OF EDUCATION: If you are selected for a position you must submit an official transcript which shows you meet the educational requirements for the position. You must meet all qualification requirements outlined on this vacancy announcement by the closing date of the announcement.
You must meet all qualification and eligibility requirements by the closing date of this announcement. CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT FOR THIS VACANCY: A Preliminary background check must be completed before a new employee can begin work. Current Federal employees or other individuals with and existing completed background investigation may not be required to undergo another background check. If selected for this vacancy, you may be required to file the OGE Form 450 (Financial Disclosure Statement). Status and Non-Status applicants from outside DOE selected for this position are required to serve a mandatory one (1) year probationary period. A DOE career status employee selected for this position may be required to serve a new one (1) year probationary period, pursuant to 5 CFR 315.802.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
We will review your application to ensure you meet the job requirements.
If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses in your online questionnaire, or if you fail to submit required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted. To preview questions please click here.
- If you meet the qualifications requirements and are found to be among the top candidates, your application will be referred to the selecting official for further review.