The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal and Urban operated facilities and programs.
For information on the IHS visit IHS.GOV
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is located at the Santa Fe Indian Hospital, Business Office, Santa Fe, New Mexico. Position is to function as a patient advocate to identify patients with eligibility for alternate resources and assist with the enrollment process including patient registratian functions. The position is supervised by the Supervisory Health System Specialist.
Area of Consideration: IHS Wide
See http://www.ihs.gov/jobsatihs/ for more details.
- Acts as an advocate for patients seeking health care by explaining, teaching, and enrolling patients with an alternative resource program.
- Assures maximal identification of patients who have, or are eligible for alternative resources by implementing screening and interviewing methods which will consist of patient registration and obtaining signatures of required programs and policies.
- Establishes eligibility of potential Medicare eligible patients by working with the Social Security Administration (SSA) on both the local and regional level.
- Provides information on rights and responsibilities and benefits of enrolling with an alternate resource program.
- Conducts follow-up on all pending eligibility claims and works closely with families and agencies to see that the patient is not discriminated against.