Do you desire to protect American interests and secure our Nation while building a meaningful and rewarding career? If so, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling. DHS components work collectively to prevent terrorism, secure borders, enforce and administer immigration laws, safeguard cyberspace and ensure resilience to disasters. The vitality and magnitude of this mission is achieved by a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
Apply for this exciting position to support the CG missions of safeguarding our Nation's maritime interests in the heartland, in the ports, at sea, and around the globe.
For over two centuries the The U.S. Coast Guard has protected the maritime economy and the environment, we defend our maritime borders, and we save those in peril. This history has forged our character and purpose as America's Maritime Guardian - Always Ready for all hazards and all threats.
The vacancy is being concurrently advertised under merit promotion procedures for status applicants under announcement 13-2024-WE-KW-M. APPLICANTS WISHING TO BE CONSIDERED UNDER BOTH DELEGATED EXAMINING AND MERIT PROMOTION PROCEDURES MUST APPLY TO BOTH VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENTS.
NOTE: YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS DELEGATED EXAMINING VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT WILL ONLY ALLOW CONSIDERATION FOR THIS ANNOUNCEMENT. WE CANNOT ELECTRONICALLY OR MANUALLY MOVE YOUR APPLICATION TO THE CONCURRENTLY ADVERTISED MERIT PROMOTION ANNOUNCEMENT. PLEASE ENSURE YOU ARE APPLYING UNDER THE CORRECT ANNOUNCEMENT.
This position is located at the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), U.S. Coast Guard, Training Center (TRACEN) Petaluma, Administrative Services Division, Emergency Services Branch, in Petaluma, CA.
This incumbent of this position responds to fire alarms, controls and extinguishes fires, maintains and uses fire apparatus, performs non-invasive emergency medical care, and operates firefighting apparatus and equipment.
Being a Coast Guard civilian makes you a valuable member of the Coast Guard team. Typical work assignments include:
• Performing routine tests, inspections, and servicing functions on all fire equipment and apparatus
• Mentoring to new work force staff regarding station operations
• Conducting annual housing fire prevention and safety inspections
• Providing fire prevention and extinguisher training
• Conducting fire hydrant maintenance, flow test and recording resulting data
• Performing basic life support functions in assessing and treating patients
• Operating firefighter apparatus and equipment
• Assessing safety and hazards at the scene of an emergency