NOTE: These positions are in the U.S. Public Health Service (USPHS) Commissioned Corps and you will be referred as a Commissioned Corps personnel and not as a candidate to a permanent GS career or career-conditional appointment. These USPHS positions are being filled at the rank of Commander (O-5).
AREA OF CONSIDERATION: ONLY USPHS OFFICERS WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR THESE POSITIONS BASED ON THE APPLICANT'S YEARS OF EXPERIENCE AND THE NEEDS OF THE LOCATION.
NOTE: IF YOU PREVIOUSLY APPLIED UNDER VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT LAG-PHS-898694-LMA-011 OR 019 YOU DO NOT NEED TO APPLY UNDER THIS ANNOUNCEMENT TO RECEIVE CONSIDERATION FOR THESE POSITIONS.
Do you desire to protect American interests and secure our Nation while building a meaningful and rewarding career? If so, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling. DHS components work collectively to prevent terrorism, secure borders, enforce and administer immigration laws, safeguard cyberspace and ensure resilience to disasters. The vitality and magnitude of this mission is achieved by a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
This is a key position within the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). ICE utilizes the government's second largest cadre of law enforcement officers to ensure our nation's economic, transportation and infrastructure security. ICE enforces immigration and customs laws. Our talented and courageous workforce identifies criminal activities and eliminates vulnerabilities that pose a threat to our nation's borders. ICE is the primary investigative arm of the Department of Homeland Security. With more than 19,000 employees in 400 offices around the world, ICE is a key component of the DHS layered defense approach to protecting our nation. For additional information about ICE and career opportunities go to http://www.ice.gov/.
The ICE Health Service Corps (IHSC) exists within the organizational structure of the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO) under the supervision of the Department of Homeland Security. The United States Public Health Service Commissioned Corps Officers, civil service staff comprise the healthcare professional working together to provide quality healthcare services. IHSC serves as the medical experts for ICE.
The incumbent serves as a Physician for one of the healthcare facilities located across the nation for the ICE Health Service Corps. These sites provide medical care to detainees in Immigration and Custom Enforcement custody.
It is the responsibility of the Physician to adhere to policies and procedures as stated in the ICE Health Service Corps (IHSC) Policies and Procedures Manual.
MISSION:The ICE Health Service Corps protects America by providing health care and public health services in support of immigration and customs law enforcement. This is accomplished through maintaining a committed, effective and efficient workforce who provides evidenced based appropriate health care in a cost effective manner.
These positions are open for Commissioned Corps Officers only!
1. Maintains clinical professional skills via continuing education opportunities.
2. Maintains CPR/BLS certification.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Interpretation and translation activities within the scope of the employees duties.
- Assess these employees language abilities to ensure their competency to perform language services for particular duties; and describe plans for enhancing employees language abilities.
- Provides specialized medical services to outpatients and provides medical care to inpatients in facilities with a short stay unit. Specific duties involve all aspects of health care delivery. The incumbent will work in concert with both facility staff and consultant specialists in various clinical areas.
- Performs all duties in accordance with current accepted medical practices and procedures.
- Conducts physical examinations, initial and follow-up assessments for acute and chronic medical condition.
- Collects comprehensive medical and social history to include a review of all body systems.
- Performs physical assessment in correlation with historical findings, records preliminary objective findings.
- Acts as a consultant for mid-level providers and/or registered nurses, providing oversight and direction. Incumbent will provide input for the performance rating of nurses and mid-level providers.
- Examines and orders appropriate diagnostic testing and provides necessary treatment and/or medications as required. Refers selected cases to consultant specialists when necessary. Refers detainees requiring hospitalization to a community hospital and to an appropriate admitting physician.
- For facilities with a short stay unit the incumbent will make rounds on detainees admitted to his/her care, mid-levels providers, and nursing personnel, as described in applicable local procedures. Additionally, the clinician may see detainees who are in locked/segregated status in their designated housing area or are housed in segregation units.
- Administers or directs administration of both curative and preventative inoculations.
- Prescribes medications (including narcotics and routine psycho tropics), treatments, diets, and nursing care.
- Renders emergency medical/surgical/mental health services as required.
- As the licensed provider, the incumbent provides clinical oversight. It is the incumbent's responsibility to consult with other health care providers to provide training and mentoring and to be directly involved with the evaluation and treatment of severely ill and medically complex patient care problems. Is responsible for providing direct patient care.
- Ensures that proper evaluations and treatments are carried out and documented. Incumbent shall constantly monitor and evaluate the quality of patient care, providing data to the departmental Performance Improvement program, and other agencies or committees as required.
- The incumbent will be required to provide on-call medical duty coverage as needed after regular work hours and may need to return to the facility to provide medical care.
- May be required to see patients on an interim basis who are not in the category of his/her expertise.
- May be called on to assist in the operation of other clinics, upon the absence of the regularly assigned physician.
- Assures proper maintenance of medical records, preparation of reports, etc., as related to the area of responsibility. Makes recommendations on matters of policy, procedures, training, personnel, and equipment as related to specific area of responsibility.
- Participates actively in Health Services medical in-service programs. Assists with training for mid-level practitioners, nursing staff, support services personnel, and peer professional staff.
- As needed, works with and is assigned to various committees. Flexible and able to adapt to sudden changes in schedules and work requirements. Along with all other correctional institution employees, incumbent is charged with responsibility for maintaining security of the institution.
- Provide radiological services; these services will be primarily to conduct tuberculosis surveillance i.e. digital single view chest x-rays.
- Follows supervisory chain of command.
- Other duties as assigned