DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Interpretation and translation activities within the scope of the employees duties.
2. Assess these employees language abilities to ensure their competency to perform language services for particular duties; and describe plans for enhancing employees language abilities.
3. Initiates and maintains compliance with IHSC policies for accreditation.
4. Provides direct nursing care to detainees.
5. Obtains medical histories on detainees; referring medical problems to the physician, or mid-level provider.
6. Evaluates health care needs of detainees and develops nursing care plans to meet those needs.
7. Provides triage and screening of detainees during sick call and performs functions as outlined in the approved IHSC RN Guidelines. 8. Identifies and manages minor illnesses per established nursing protocols and refers other medical problems to the appropriate medical provider.
9. Provides group and individual health education to detainees.
10. Assists the medical provider with medical appointments by taking the detainees vital signs, documenting in the chart and assisting as necessary.
11. Ensures the medical providers orders are implemented in a timely manner.
12. Ensures that medications prescribed are administered as ordered. When medication orders are signed off, initials are placed next to the order and circled.
13. Applies knowledge of drugs and therapeutics in administering medication.
14. Maintains security when administering medications continually cognizant of the potential hazard of drug hoarding and trafficking among detainees.
15. Destroys and properly disposes of all needles/syringes.
16. Maintains accuracy of Sharps Log.
17. Maintains non-involvement in the security aspects of care.
18. Documents all detainee encounters using S.O.A.P. format, followed by the nurses signature and name stamp.
19. Maintains patient and medical record confidentiality.
20. Performs or assists with of emergency treatment of injury or illness to detainees as required.
21. Performs orders authorized by the physician, nurse Practitioner, or NP/PA.
22. Provides nebulizer treatments; inserts indwelling urinary catheters; irrigates indwelling urinary catheters.
23. May prepare statistical information, regularly scheduled reports, or special reports as necessary.
24. Draws labs as requested and collects laboratory specimens.
25. Administers immunizations and reads and documents accordingly.
26. Attends general/medical staff meetings.
27. Coordinates health care needs of detainees with healthcare team and coordinates referrals to off-site providers as required.
28. Assures a safe and clean working environment.
29. Provides care for psychiatric patients as indicated.
30. Performs record keeping functions in accordance with program policies.
31. Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
32. Responsible for maintenance of medical equipment and quality control of laboratory reagents.
33. May serve as medical escort of detainees as needed for domestic/overseas travel.
34. Maintains medical supply stock level, restocking as needed. May order supplies (lab and other supplies).
35. Performs or designates other staff to dispose of biologically hazardous wastes on a regular basis.
36. May participate in QI Reviews/QA activities.
37. Provides daily nursing care as needed in Short Stay Unit (SSU) and notifies physician, or PA/NP of any abnormal findings.
38. Provide radiological services; these services will be primarily to conduct tuberculosis surveillance i.e. digital single view chest x-rays.
39. May serve at other IHSC medical facilities on temporary duty (TDY).
40. Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection control polices and protocols.
41. Practice patient teaching/training.
42. Will handle and be knowledgeable of all medical equipment utilized in the care of the patient.
43. Follow policy when disposing of bio hazardous materials, labeling and handling of all materials.
44. May be responsible for running a clinic program such as QI, EHS, IC or Training and Education.
45. Must be able to work rotating shifts including weekends.
46. May be tasked to function as charge nurse or team lead.
47. Punctual and dependent for assigned shifts.