SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
A qualified candidate's online application and resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position is defined as:
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS REQUIREMENTS
- Serving as a recognized scientific authority and expert in photosynthetic systems.
- Providing program management for a research program in natural photosynthetic systems.
- Supporting research which advances the atomic and molecular level understanding of biological, chemical, and physical processes.
- Supporting a budget related to a research program.
- Developing and implementing new program thrusts that complement current bioscience research activities.
Your application and resume should demonstrate that you possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs). Do not provide a separate narrative written statement. Rather, you must describe in your application how your past work experience demonstrates that you possess the KSAs identified below. Cite specific examples of employment or experience contained in your resume and describe how this experience has prepared you to successfully perform the duties of this position. DO NOT write "see resume" in your application!
You must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
- Knowledge of the current status of biosciences research and the biosciences research community.
- Knowledge of the missions and programs of DOE.
- Ability to plan, direct, and evaluate new and highly complex basic research programs, projects, and policies.
- Ability to plan, budget, justify, and allocate funds among a variety of competing programs and requirements.
- Ability to develop methods and procedures and apply them to novel and unusual highly technical problems and developments for which there is little, if any, precedent.
- Ability to organize and direct diverse groups in solving of highly complex scientific problems and to identify key synergisms and leverage points.
If this vacancy specifically states that certain educational requirements must be met (also known as a "positive educational requirement"), you must provide documentation such as unofficial transcripts supporting any education claims in your application. Education must be obtained from an accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Foreign education must be reviewed by an organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For special instructions pertaining to foreign education and a list of organizations that can evaluate foreign education, see the Department of Education website.
This position requires a degree in biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position OR: Combination of education and experience: Courses equivalent to a major, as shown above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
This position requires a degree in physical sciences, life sciences, or engineering that included 30 semester hours in chemistry, supplemented by course work in mathematics through differential and integral calculus, and at least 6 semester hours of physics OR:
Combination of education and experience -- course work equivalent to a major as shown above, including at least 30 semester hours in chemistry, supplemented by mathematics through differential and integral calculus, and at least 6 semester hours of physics, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application will be rated by our application system using the Category Rating procedure. A quality review will then be conducted by the HR Office and/or Subject Matter Expert (SME). Your application is rated based on the extent and quality of your experience, education (if applicable to the job), and training described in your online resume/questionnaire as related to the duties of this position. The quality categories are usually defined as "Best Qualified", "Well Qualified" and "Qualified". Veterans Preference eligibles will be listed at the top of whichever category your score places you in. CP/CPS veterans are placed at the top of the highest category for all positions except professional and scientific positions at GS-9 and higher.
If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses you provided in your online questionnaire, or if you fail to submit required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted.
PLEASE NOTE THIS IS AN INTERDISCIPLINARY ANNOUNCEMENT WHICH CAN BE FILLED WITH A BIOLOGIST OR A CHEMIST. QUESTIONS 1 AND 2 SHOULD BE ANSWERED IF YOU ARE APPLYING AS A BIOLOGIST. QUESTIONS 3 AND 4 SHOULD BE ANSWERED IF YOU ARE APPLYING AS A CHEMIST. IF YOU ARE APPLYING AS BOTH A BIOLOGIST AND A CHEMIST, PLEASE ANSWER 1-4.
To preview questions please click here.