The U.S. Department of Transportation, Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration's (PHMSA) mission is to protect people and the environment from the risk inherent in transportation of hazardous materials - by pipeline and other modes of transportation.
PHMSA's THRIVE core values are Trust, Honesty, Respect, Integrity, Valuing People, Effective Communication.
The primary purpose of this position at the full performance level is the performance of Federal pipeline safety compliance inspections; evaluate intrastate and interstate pipeline operators subject to Federal authority; investigate pipeline failures; and represent the Office of Pipeline Safety in all matters related to pipeline safety before Federal, state and industry authorities.
This position is perfect for anGeneral Engineer who is seeking challenging assignments performing Federal pipeline safety compliance inspections; evaluating intrastate and interstate pipeline operators subject to Federal authority; investigating pipeline failures; and representing the Office of Pipeline Safety in all matters related to pipeline safety before Federal, state and industry authorities.
This position also offers excellent benefits, including the potential for ongoing medical benefits after retirement. Alternative work schedules and telework schedules are strongly encouraged.
The General Engineer (Inspector):
- Conducts safety program reviews and provides engineering analyses and evaluations of potential pipeline safety regulatory deficiencies. Interprets and applies Federal regulations and monitoring requirements to the design, construction, operation and maintenance of gas and liquid pipeline systems of operators. Performs or directs field surveys and presents findings and alternatives in writing and verbally in meetings with affected parties.
- Reviews the design and specifications for pipeline systems under construction or repair to assure conformance with safety regulations. Evaluates project to determine compliance with existing Federal safety regulations.Makes field surveys of existing facilities to assure maintenance and repair schedules and procedures conform to safety requirements. Coordinates assignments with colleagues and supervisors to assure that compliance citations or advice is consistent with established policy. Participates in on-site inspection as a team member of pipeline facilities involved in major accidents or failures.
- Conducts studies and provides engineering analyses of Federal regulations and industry guidance. Participates in technical conferences, symposia and meetings as a technical expert and authority on safety issues related to the pipeline industry.
- Conducts investigations and engineering analyses to determine causes and contributing factors of pipeline failures and safety related conditions and other safety reports.
- Develops and presents alternatives and findings in reports. Participates in technical conferences, symposia and meetings on safety issues related to the pipeline industry.