Do you desire to protect American interests and secure our Nation while building a meaningful and rewarding career? If so, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling. DHS components work collectively to prevent terrorism, secure borders, enforce and administer immigration laws, safeguard cyberspace and ensure resilience to disasters. The vitality and magnitude of this mission is achieved by a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
Apply for this exciting position to support the CG missions of safeguarding our Nation's maritime interests in the heartland, in the ports, at sea, and around the globe.
For over two centuries the The U.S. Coast Guard has protected the maritime economy and the environment, we defend our maritime borders, and we save those in peril. This history has forged our character and purpose as America's Maritime Guardian - Always Ready for all hazards and all threats.
The vacancy is being concurrently advertised under merit promotion procedures for status applicants under announcement 13-2072-NE-TB-M. APPLICANTS WISHING TO BE CONSIDERED UNDER BOTH DELEGATED EXAMINING AND MERIT PROMOTION PROCEDURES MUST APPLY TO BOTH VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENTS.
NOTE: YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS DELEGATED EXAMINING VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT WILL ONLY ALLOW CONSIDERATION FOR THIS ANNOUNCEMENT. WE CANNOT ELECTRONICALLY OR MANUALLY MOVE YOUR APPLICATION TO THE CONCURRENTLY ADVERTISED MERIT PROMOTION ANNOUNCEMENT. PLEASE ENSURE YOU ARE APPLYING UNDER THE CORRECT ANNOUNCEMENT.
This position is located in the First Coast Guard District, Operations Division, Bridge Management Branch, New York, NY.
As a Bridge Management Specialist for the First District, you are responsible for enforcement of bridge laws, regulations and orders in bridge administration.
Being a Coast Guard civilian makes you a valuable member of the Coast Guard team. Typical work assignments include:
- Conducts pre-planning and project conferences with representatives of the applicant and other groups, agencies and organizations.
- Examines and corroborates the formal documentation included in the application for bridge permits. Reviews and critiques the location, design type, size, construction time scheduling, project plans, vertical and horizontal clearance, navigational orientation.
-Examines and verifies the applicant’s environmental assessment to ensure compliance with the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and other environmental mandated legislation.
- Examines requests for drawbridge operation regulations including temporary and permanent requests.
- Prepares all reports, correspondence, public notices, and Findings of Fact which comprehensively describe investigation.
- Investigates reported violations of bridge laws and regulations.
- Conducts investigations and obtains data on navigational problems.