Do you desire to protect American interests and secure our Nation while building a meaningful and rewarding career? If so, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling. DHS components work collectively to prevent terrorism, secure borders, enforce and administer immigration laws, safeguard cyberspace and ensure resilience to disasters. The vitality and magnitude of this mission is achieved by a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
Apply for this exciting position to support the CG missions of safeguarding our Nation's maritime interests in the heartland, in the ports, at sea, and around the globe.
For over two centuries the The U.S. Coast Guard has protected the maritime economy and the environment, we defend our maritime borders, and we save those in peril. This history has forged our character and purpose as America's Maritime Guardian - Always Ready for all hazards and all threats.
The vacancy is being concurrently advertised under merit promotion procedures for status applicants under announcement 13-2071-NE-TB-M. APPLICANTS WISHING TO BE CONSIDERED UNDER BOTH DELEGATED EXAMINING AND MERIT PROMOTION PROCEDURES MUST APPLY TO BOTH VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENTS.
NOTE: YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS DELEGATED EXAMINING VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT WILL ONLY ALLOW CONSIDERATION FOR THIS ANNOUNCEMENT. WE CANNOT ELECTRONICALLY OR MANUALLY MOVE YOUR APPLICATION TO THE CONCURRENTLY ADVERTISED MERIT PROMOTION ANNOUNCEMENT. PLEASE ENSURE YOU ARE APPLYING UNDER THE CORRECT ANNOUNCEMENT.
This position is located in the First Coast Guard District, Operations Division, Bridge Management Branch, New York, NY.
As the Supervisory Bridge Management Specialist for the First District, you will direct, supervise, and coordinate the bridge program at this location.
Being a Coast Guard civilian makes you a valuable member of the Coast Guard team. Typical work assignments include:
- Provides administrative and technical supervision necessary for accomplishing all work of the Bridge Branch.
- Provide necessary guidance to subordinates concerning job assignments and training, submitting branch travel request to Division Chief or Deputy Division Chief for final approval and completes performance evaluations on all staff personnel within the branch.
- Provides expert technical advice in reviewing and processing recommendations for the issuance or denial of permits.
- Serves as the Environmental Protection Specialist for district bridge program. Examines the applicant's environmental documentation for compliance with the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and other environmental legislation.
- Oversees Permit application process, recommending agency action based upon development of comprehensive case file including administrative, environmental and navigational elements.
- Validates navigability studies by determining limit of tidal influence, location of manmade obstructions to navigation and history of commerce along waterway. Oversees investigation into obstructive nature of bridges and applicability of Truman-Hobbs Act.
- Provides expert interpretations of highly complex data, requirements, procedures, regulations, etc. as it relates to Bridge Management and Transportation Programs.
- Ensures bridge construction oversight in First District balances the needs of intermodal transportation often within a time and economic constrained environment. Authorizes deviations from federal bridge operation regulations.
- Develops close liaisons with individuals or groups outside the agency to exchange information relevant to successful program administration. Represents the District on bridge issues and controversies.