This position is located at the National Zoological Park.This position contributes to the creation of an overall environment for collection animals that ensures the health and welfare of the specimens and provides an enriching and memorable experience for the visiting public.
The Smithsonian Institution values and seeks a diverse workforce. Join us in "Inspiring Generations through Knowledge and Discovery."
Performs a variety of duties that ensure the proper care, feeding, exhibition, and propagation of a collection of Elephants.
- Provides for the daily care of elephants in the collection.
- Actively participates in the training and enrichment programs for elephants.
- Receives, inspects, stores, prepares, and issues food and dietary supplements, forage, and bedding materials;
- Monitors elephants for symptoms of illness, injuries, or other unusual conditions; and reports observations.
- Connects with visitors regarding animal natural history, conservation programs, natural habitats, status of elephants in the wild, care and feeding of elephants and other topics of interest.
- Assists professional and scientific personnel in carrying out studies of animal collections.