Job Title:Animal Keeper
Job Announcement Number:13R-LG-298941-MPA-NZP
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Hour|
|Monday, September 16, 2013 to
Monday, September 30, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full-Time, Permanent -
|FEW vacancies -
Washington, DC, USView Map|
WHO MAY APPLY:
|This position is open to current and former Federal employees with permanent status or reinstatement eligibility. Individuals who are eligible for a special appointing authority may also apply; such as applicants with a disability, former Peace Corps volunteers, certain military spouses, veterans seeking a VRA/VEOA appointment, or veterans who have been separated from armed forces under honorable conditions after 3 years or more of continuous active service.|
This position is located at the National Zoological Park.This position contributes to the creation of an overall environment for collection animals that ensures the health and welfare of the specimens and provides an enriching and memorable experience for the visiting public.
The Smithsonian Institution values and seeks a diverse workforce. Join us in "Inspiring Generations through Knowledge and Discovery."
- Pass Pre-employment Background Investigation
- May need to complete a Probationary Period
- Maintain a Bank Account for Direct Deposit/Electronic Transfer
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with Selective Service.
DUTIES:Back to top
Performs a variety of duties that ensure the proper care, feeding, exhibition, and propagation of a collection of Elephants.
- Provides for the daily care of elephants in the collection.
- Actively participates in the training and enrichment programs for elephants.
- Receives, inspects, stores, prepares, and issues food and dietary supplements, forage, and bedding materials;
- Monitors elephants for symptoms of illness, injuries, or other unusual conditions; and reports observations.
- Connects with visitors regarding animal natural history, conservation programs, natural habitats, status of elephants in the wild, care and feeding of elephants and other topics of interest.
- Assists professional and scientific personnel in carrying out studies of animal collections.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
In order to be rated qualified, an applicant's overall experience and training must indicate possession of the minimum knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to perform the duties of this position.
Physical Requirements: This position requires the physical ability to perform moderately heavy work including lifting and carrying heavy objects up to 50 lbs.; work outside in all weather conditions with exposure to dirt, dust, pollen and insects; climb ladders and stairs; and stand and walk for extended periods.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application will be evaluated first for the basic qualifications described above. The applications that meet the basic qualifications will be evaluated further against the following criteria:
- Ability to do the work of an experienced Animal Keeper without more than normal supervision demonstrated by experience performing a full range of specialized duties that contribute to the proper care, feeding, training, exhibition, and propagation of a collection of elephants.
If an applicant meets the screen-out element, the following Job Elements will be evaluated:
- Knowledge of the care of elephants and experience sharing knowledge to colleagues and peers.
- Knowledge of animal behavior for natural behavior patterns (courtship, breeding, aggression, etc.) and for recognizing symptoms of unusual behavior (illness, injury, etc.).
- Knowledge and experience in animal handling for routine care and capture and restraint.
- Skill in conducting formal and informal animal shows, demonstrations, talks, and tours.
- Knowledge of animal enrichment and training, and experience designing and implementing these with animals.
Your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses to the occupational questionnaire or other assessment tool for consistency. If a determination is made that you have rated yourself higher than is supported by your resume, you will be assigned a rating commensurate to your described experience.
Your resume should provide detailed information regarding how your education and experience relate to this position, including the major duties and qualifications criteria listed. To preview questions please click here.