This position is located in the Washington Operations Division, Office of Protection Services. The employee is responsible for providing physical protection and security for staff, visitors, museum property and grounds.
ATTENTION: Due to the large number of qualified applicants for positions of this type, this job announcement will close at 11:59 pm Eastern Time on either: (A) The closing date listed above or (B) The date that 300 applications are received; whichever occurs first. If the announcement closes on the date that 300 applications are received, all applications submitted by 11:59pm that day will be given consideration, including those in excess of 300.
We encourage applicants to apply as soon as possible to ensure their applications are submitted before the announcement closes. We will not consider applications which are late due to the announcement closing once the above number of applications is reached.
The Smithsonian Institution values and seeks a diverse workforce. Join us in "Inspiring Generations through Knowledge and Discovery."
- Ensures the safety and security of the Smithsonian staff and visitors and protecting the Smithsonian treasures, property and grounds.
- Patrols assigned areas to check locks, alarms, door exhibit cases and other barriers; conducts routine and non-routine inspections to ensure compliance with security/safety requirements.
- Provides customer service to museum visitors; is responsive to visitors’ needs and leaves them with a positive impression of museum security personnel. Provides information and gives directions when asked, in a friendly, clear and easy-to-follow manner
- Communicates in writing in order to prepare reports, write coherent statements, explain facts, and establish and maintain effective relationships with operating and management officials and staff, other OPS officers and visitors.
- Detects faulty doors and equipment; detects and deters attempted thefts/vandalism, etc. Detains and arrest violators in accordance with title 40, U.S. Code 193n-x, section seven. The incumbent will enforce, concurrently with the United States Park Police, the laws and regulations applicable to National Capital Parks and make arrests for violations of sections four.