This position is located in the Office of Facilities, Engineering and Operations, Office of Protection Services, Police Unit at the National Zoological Park. The employee provides law enforcement and security activities involved in the protection of life and property exclusively within the boundaries of the Park.
The Smithsonian Institution values and seeks a diverse workforce. Join us in "Inspiring Generations through Knowledge and Discovery."
- Patrols on foot, in a motor vehicle or on other motorized conveyances as designated and is assigned to one or more areas of the park to prevent and detect, violations of the law.
- Maintains order within the park; promotes public understanding of laws and ordinances and cooperation in their enforcement; directs pedestrian and motor vehicle traffic; provides first aid in cases of emergency; supplies information to the public pertaining to the park and its collection in a direct and courteous manner; also assists the public whenever possible in a similar manner.
- Takes immediate command at scenes of crimes, accidents, incidents and other emergency situations until such time as he/she is relieved by a supervisor. Provides crowd control and summons necessary assistance.
- Immediately communicates accurate and concise information about accidents, incidents, and other police problems to other police officers or to citizens.
- Protects public officials, prisoners, citizens in danger, collections and various sorts of property.