Job Title:Police Officer
Job Announcement Number:13R-BG-298849-MPA-OFEO
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Friday, September 13, 2013 to
Friday, September 27, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full-Time, Permanent -
|FEW vacancies in the following location(s):|
Washington, DC, USView Map
Front Royal, VA, USView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|This position is open to current and former Federal employees with permanent status or reinstatement eligibility. Individuals who are eligible for a special appointing authority may also apply; such as applicants with a disability, former Peace Corps volunteers, certain military spouses, veterans seeking a VRA/VEOA appointment, or veterans who have been separated from armed forces under honorable conditions after 3 years or more of continuous active service.|
This position is located in the Office of Facilities, Engineering and Operations, Office of Protection Services, Police Unit at the National Zoological Park. The employee provides law enforcement and security activities involved in the protection of life and property exclusively within the boundaries of the Park.
The Smithsonian Institution values and seeks a diverse workforce. Join us in "Inspiring Generations through Knowledge and Discovery."
- Pass Pre-employment Background Investigation
- May need to complete a Probationary Period
- Required to submit to a drug screening/urinalysis prior to appointment
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with Selective Service.
- Must have a valid State or District of Columbia
- Required to qualify semi-annually with the NZP issued firearm and ASP Baton
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
Experience: One year of full-time experience at the GS-06 level that is close or similar to the work of this job. For this position Specialized experience is defined as providing protection of property, and valuable objects against the following hazards: fire, theft, damage, accident, and trespass; and maintaining order and protecting lives of staff, animals and visitors.
Part-time and/or unpaid experience related to this position will be considered to determine the total number of years and months of experience. Be sure to note the number of paid or unpaid hours worked each week.
Investigation of Fitness: A character investigation shall be conducted on applicants selected for employment. The purpose of such an investigation is to secure evidence of the candidate's honesty, integrity, general character, and loyalty to the U.S. Government. Such investigations will be conducted under the security requirements of the hiring agency.
Medical Requirements: The duties of these positions require moderate to arduous physical exertion and/or duties of a hazardous nature. The following medical requirements apply to all applicants: good near and distant vision, ability to distinguish basic colors, and ability to hear the conversational voice. Agencies may establish additional, job-related physical or medical requirements provided that the specific position(s) involves the arduous or hazardous duties to which the physical requirements relate.
Applicants and employees must have the capacity to perform the essential functions of the position without risk to themselves or others. Applicants and employees must possess emotional and mental stability. In most instances, a specific medical condition or impairment will not automatically disqualify an applicant or employee. A medical condition or impairment is disqualifying only if the condition, for good medical reason, precludes assignment to or warrants restriction from the duties of the specific position. For some positions, the loss or impairment of a specific function may be compensated for by the satisfactory use of a prosthesis or mechanical aid. Reasonable accommodation shall also be considered in determining an applicant's ability to perform the duties of a position. Reasonable accommodation may include, but is not limited to the use of assistive devices, job modification or restructuring, provision of readers and interpreters, or adjusted work schedules.
All positions involving Federal motor vehicle operation carry the additional medical requirements specified in 5 CFR 930 and the "General Policies and Instructions" section of this Manual.
Drug Testing: The position(s) which may be filled from this vacancy announcement have been identified as Testing Designated Positions under the Drug-Free Workplace Program. All applicants tentatively selected for this position shall be required to submit to a urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Satisfactory completion of the drug test is a condition of placement and/or employment in the position and incumbents of this position are thereafter, subject to the Smithsonian Drug Testing Policy.
Qualification requirements must be met within 30 days of the job announcement closing date.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Incumbent is required to qualify annually (at a minimum) with the standard security force firearm and ASP Baton. Failure to re-qualify will result in removal from the position.
- All applicants appointed to Security Guard positions must attend and successfully complete a five week training program and pass the written tests at the end of the training period. Applicants who fail to successfully meet this requirement will be subject to termination.
- You must not have a history of domestic violence or child abuse/sexual abuse
- You must be able to become CPR and First Aid qualified and have the ability to read and understand written material in language of the security force.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application will be evaluated first for the basic qualifications described above. The applications that meet the basic qualifications will be evaluated further against the following criteria:
- Ability to provide foot and motor patrol in a public environment.
- Ability to provide law enforcement services to the general public.
- Experience investigating crimes, accidents, and incidents.
- Ability to communicate orally (provide customer service)
- Ability to communicate in writing.
- Ability to protect property in a public environment.
Your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses to the occupational questionnaire or other assessment tool for consistency. If a determination is made that you have rated yourself higher than is supported by your resume, you will be assigned a rating commensurate to your described experience. Your resume should provide sufficient information regarding how your education and experience relate to this position, including the major duties and qualifications criteria listed. To preview questions please click here.