To be minimally qualified for this position you must meet one of the Basic Qualifications as listed below.
A. Degree: accounting; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law. (The term "accounting" means "accounting and/or auditing" in this standard. Similarly, "accountant" should be interpreted, generally, as "accountant and/or auditor.")
B. Combination of education and experience: at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge. The applicant's background must also include one of the following:
1. Twenty-four semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law;
2. A certificate as Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination; or
3. Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing, e.g., 15 semester hours, but that does not fully satisfy the 24-semester-hour requirement of paragraph A, provided that (a) the applicant has successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, auditing, or a related field, e.g., valuation engineering or financial institution examining; (b) a panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors has determined that the applicant has demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in paragraph A; and (c) except for literal nonconformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, the applicant's education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements.
NOTE: If you meet the basic requirements for A or B, you are REQUIRED to submit a copy of your college transcript OR a list of college courses with credit hours, dates completed, and grades received to verify education.
AFTER MEETING THE BASIC REQUIREMENTS APPLICANTS MUST ALSO MEET THE SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS FOR THIS POSITION.
For the GS-09: A. you must possess at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-07 level. Specialized experience for this position includes: experience performing reconciliations; entering and processing data into various accounts; preparing monthly trial monthly balances and financial reports; developing automated accounting instructions and procedures for routine transactions; and analyzing financial and statistical data; OR - B. You have completed 2 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree or master's or equivalent graduate degree.
For the GS-11: A. you must possess at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-09 level. Specialized experience for this position includes: analyzing and reconciling a variety of accounts and transactions; formulating a variety of routine financial reports and implementing fiscal year-end closing procedures; and developing procedures to be used in the design or modification of automated accounting systems;- OR - B. You have completed 3 years of progressively higher- level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree.
Time-in-grade restrictions apply for all candidates considered under Merit Promotion.
Qualification requirements must be met within 30days of the closing date of this vacancy announcement.
Please submit your most recent SF-50 when applying for this position. Preferably your most recent promotion, with-in grade increase or appointment. ( This is to determine that time in grade requirements have been met).
Applicants must be available to report for duty at the time a selection is made. Selections are typically made within 30 days of the closing date of the announcement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Qualified candidates will be placed for selection consideration into three categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified or Qualified. Your resume will be reviewed and compared against your responses to the online questionnaire. We strongly encourage you to answer every question that accompanies this vacancy, as your responses will better highlight your specific qualifications.
Please note that your resume must thoroughly support your responses to the assessment questionnaire. High self-assessment in the applicant questions that is not supported by information in your resume may eliminate you from best-qualified status and subsequent referral to the selecting official.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies:
· KNOWLEDGE OF ACCOUNTING PRINCIPLES, PRACTICES AND TECHNIQUES
· KNOWLEDE OF SOFTWARE APPLICATION PROGRAMS AS WELL AS TOOLS TO GENERATE REPORTS FROM DATABASES IN ORDER TO CONDUCT RECONCILIATIONS AND TROUBLESHOOTING.
· ABILITY TO COLLECT, ANALYZE, EVALUATE AND INTERPRET FINACIAL/ACCOUNTING DATA
Displaced/Surplus Employees: Individuals eligible under the USDA Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) must be well qualified for the position to receive consideration for special priority selection. CTAP and ICTAP eligibles within the local commuting area will be considered well qualified if the applicant meets the basic eligibility requirements and all selective factors, and is rated in the Well Qualified Category as described in the How You Will Be Evaluated section. Employees seeking CTAP/ICTAP eligibility must submit a copy of the agency notice, a copy of their most recent performance rating and a copy of their most recent SF-50 noting current position, grade level and duty location. Please annotate your application to reflect that you are applying as a CTAP or ICTAP eligible. CLICK HERE for additional information on CTAP and ICTAP.