The Navy and Marine Corps team offers innovative, exciting and meaningful work linking military and civilian talents to achieve our mission and safeguard our freedoms. Department of the Navy provides competitive salaries, comprehensive benefits, and extensive professional development and training. From pipefitters to accountants, scientists to engineers, doctors to nurses-the careers and opportunities to make a difference are endless. Civilian careers-where purpose and patriotism unite!
THIS IS AN EXPEDITED HIRING AUTHORITY ANNOUNCEMENT. The Duncan Hunter National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) FY 2009 provides that the Secretary of Defense can designate acquisition positions as shortage positions and recruit and appoint highly qualified persons to these positions. This announcement is open to accept resumes from candidates interested in helping the Department of the Navy meet our mission requirements for the acquisition of systems, equipment and facilities.
This position is located in the Southwest Regional Maintenance Center (SWRMC), Waterfront Operations Department, San Diego, California.
You will serve as a Lead Shipbuilding Specialist for ships, carriers, submarines, boats and crafts assigned to the respective region. You will perform leading a team the specification planning to include estimating and material sourcing, evaluations, surveillance, and monitoring of all repairs, overhauls, alterations and conversions of surface combatant vessels, and other vessels.
As a Lead Shipbuilding Specialist, your duties may include but are not limited to:
· Conduct daily shipboard safety inspections and makes on the spot recommendations to correct unsatisfactory and unsafe conditions.
· Review and evaluate contractors proposals for the purposes of providing input to and/or negotiating labor and material costs.
· Monitor the contractors cost control systems during contract performance, recommends cost approval or disapproval and participates in negotiations with the contractor to obtain corrective action if required.
· Take action to prevent unauthorized modification/alterations to any vessels in preparation for or in availability.
· Conduct procedure review, procedure evaluation, corrective action, product verification inspections and data evaluations to ensure authorized work is accomplished in accordance with the specifications and as agreed upon with the customer.
· Leading a team to facilitate balancing workload, ensuring work completion and communicating information.