Unlock secrets in deep oceans, track rapidly moving storms, operate state-of-the-art environmental satellites, chart the Nation's waterways, formulate models to forecast climate trends, protect and preserve our living marine resources...it's all in a day's work at NOAA! Join a dedicated workforce committed to a vital mission: safeguarding the public, protecting natural resources, strengthening the economy. A career that makes a world of difference!
This position is located in National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), Office of Satellite and Product Operations (OSPO), National Ice Center, in Suitland, MD. For more information click here: http://www.ospo.noaa.gov/
This position will be filled under the DOC Alternative Personnel System (CAPS). This system replaced the Federal GS pay plan and structure. Under CAPS, positions are classified by career, pay plan, and pay band. The ZP-2 is equivalent to the GS-7/9.
NOTE - THIS ZP-2210-02 POSITION IS BEING ADVERTISED AT THE GS-09 EQUIVALENT SALARY/LEVEL.
This position is also being advertised as an IT Specialist ZP-2210-2, under vacancy announcement number NSDIS-OSPO-2013-0034 (status candidates). You must apply separately under each announcement to be considered for each announcement.
- This is a non-bargaining position.
- This vacancy may be used to fill other IT Specialist, ZP-2210-2 positions throughout NOAA. The position must be alike (e.g.: within the same geographical location, same grade/band requires the same qualifications as indicated in this vacancy announcement).
The individual selected for this position will:
- Coordinate planning and acquisition of Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) images from foreign satellite ground stations for operational and emergency use.
- Plan and implement geographic information systems software to update and improve satellite planning operations.
- Montior and maintain a database to reflect the current status of images ordered, pending, and received from all SAR satellite ground stations.
- Monitor and report daily patterns and trends of SAR data usage by Analyst.
- Develop a variety of written technical documents, data reports, and prepare written responses to customers requirements.
- Provide oral exchange between interal and external clients and stakeholders on SAR data decision making regarding budgetary variances and work on recommended mitigation options.