Job Title: Attorney-AdvisorJob Announcement Number: 13-EX-954392-KF
Agency: Securities and Exchange Commission
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Friday, September 06, 2013 to
Friday, September 13, 2013
SERIES & GRADE:
Full Time -
Excepted Service Permanent
1 vacancy in the following location:
Washington DC Metro Area, DC United States
WHO MAY APPLY:
US Citizens and Non Citizens
Do you want to perform challenging work in a collegial environment, while enjoying quality of life and a competitive compensation package? Invest in your career at the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)!
The SEC's mission is to protect investors, maintain fair, orderly, and efficient markets, and facilitate capital formation. The agency seeks high-caliber professionals who share our values of integrity, fairness, accountability, resourcefulness, teamwork, and commitment to excellence.
To find out more, go to http://www.sec.gov
The SEC offers a number of enhanced pay and benefits plus the standard Federal benefits:
- Paid dental and vision insurance.
- Increased agency subsidy for health insurance which supplements your health benefits premiums by $25 for self-only coverage, and $50 for family coverage.
- Domestic Partner Health Insurance Reimbursement Program
- Mass transportation subsidy up to $245 per month.
- Telework Opportunities
This position is in the Division for Economic and Risk Analysis located in Washington, DC.
The Division of Economic and Risk Analysis (DERA) was created in September 2009 to integrate financial economics and rigorous data analytics into the core mission of the SEC. The Division is involved across the entire range of SEC activities, including policy-making, rule-making, enforcement, and examination. As the agency's "think tank," DERA relies on a variety of academic disciplines, quantitative and non-quantitative approaches, and knowledge of market institutions and practices to help the Commission approach complex matters in a fresh light. DERA also assists in the Commission's efforts to identify, analyze, and respond to risks and trends, including those associated with new financial products and strategies. Through the range and nature of its activities, DERA serves the critical function of promoting collaborative efforts throughout the agency and breaking through silos that might otherwise limit the impact of the agency's institutional expertise.
SK-12: $81,225 - $136,842
SK-13: $96,590 - $162,720
- This position is open to all U.S. citizens and persons lawfully admitted
- for permanent residence and seeking citizenship as outlined in
- 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)(B).
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
Qualifying experience may be obtained in the private or public sectors. Qualifying education must have been obtained from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education.
BASIC REQUIREMENT: To be qualified for this position you must possess the following:
A. J.D. or LL. B
-- AND --
B. Active membership of the bar in good standing in any state, territory of the United States, the District of Columbia, or the commonwealth of Puerto Rico.
SK-12: In addition to the Basic Requirements, applicant must have one year post J.D. experience as a practicing attorney.
SK-13: In addition to the Basic Requirements, applicant must have two years post J.D. experience as a practicing attorney, one year of which includes experience with administrative law. Examples of specialized experience include: analyzing legal and/or factual issues in regards to the activities of administrative agencies of government; conducting legal research on laws and legal principles governing the administration and regulation of government agencies (Federal and/or state).
You will be rated on the following Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Knowledge of the Federal securities laws and Commission rules and regulations.
- Ability to design and develop solutions to legal issues involving original or unexplored questions of law or policy.
- Ability to communicate complex and technical information for a variety of audiences.
1. Application procedures are specific to this vacancy announcement. Please read all the instructions carefully. Failure to follow the instructions may result in you not being considered for this position.
2. Supplementary vacancies may be filled in addition to the number stated in this announcement.
3. This position has promotion potential to the SK-14.
4. TRIAL PERIOD: This appointment may require completion of a two-year trial period.
5. SECURITY CLEARANCE: Entrance on duty is contingent upon completion of a pre-employment security investigation. Favorable results on a Background Investigation may be a condition of employment or selection to another position.
6. PERMANENT CHANGE OF STATION (PCS): Moving/Relocation expenses are not authorized.
7. DIRECT DEPOSIT: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
8. This position is in the bargaining unit.
Schedule A Candidates: For information, please e-mail: DisabilityEmploymentProgram@SEC.gov
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the announcement closes, your application will be automatically evaluated and rated by the system and a Human Resources Specialist. To determine if you are qualified for this position, a review of your application and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the occupational questionnaire. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
To be considered for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package.
All materials must be received by 11:59 p.m. EST, Friday, September 13, 2013 to be considered.
Please follow the instructions listed below for submitting the Résumé, Occupational Questionnaire and Required Documents. Please read all instructions before you begin. You are solely responsible for the delivery of your materials. We cannot be responsible for incompatible software, illegible fax transmissions, etc.
1. To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
2. Click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application package.
3. To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
4. To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents:
You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application.
If you completed the occupational questionnaire online and are unable to upload supporting document(s):
1. Print the following cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf and provide the required information. The Vacancy ID is 954392.
2. Fax your documents to 1-478-757-3144.
If you cannot complete the Application Package online, you may fax all of your materials. Keep a copy of your fax confirmation in the event verification is needed.
To complete the occupational questionnaire and submit via fax:
1. Click the following link to view and print the occupational questionnaire View Occupational Questionnaire.
2. Print the 1203FX form, follow the instructions and provide your responses to the occupational questionnaire items http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdfimage/opm1203fx.pdf.
3. Fax the completed 1203FX form along with any supporting documents to 1-478-757-3144. Your 1203FX will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.
You must provide a complete Application Package, which includes:
- Required: Your responses to the Occupational Questionnaire. (Online or 1203-FX)
- Required: Your resume showing relevant duties, when the duties were performed (MM/YY), and your work schedule. Note: Resumes should NOT contain pictures.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
After a review of your resume, required documents and assessment questionnaire is complete, you will be notified of your rating and or referral to the hiring official. If further evaluation or interviews are required, you will be contacted.