Do you desire to protect American interests and secure our Nation while building a meaningful and rewarding career? If so, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling. DHS components work collectively to prevent terrorism, secure borders, enforce and administer immigration laws, safeguard cyberspace and ensure resilience to disasters. The vitality and magnitude of this mission is achieved by a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
When disaster strikes, America looks to FEMA. Now FEMA looks to you. Join our team and use your talent to support Americans in their times of greatest need. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) prepares the nation for all hazards and manages Federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. We foster innovation, reward performance and creativity, and provide challenges on a routine basis with a well-skilled, knowledgeable, high performance workforce.
Who May Apply
- All U.S. Citizens
- For definitions of terms found in this announcement, please click here
This position is ideal for a professional who has experience as a lead or a supervisor in a high volume customer contact center that provides help to disaster assistance applicants. This position starts at a salary of $74,872.00 (GS-12 step 1). Full performance level of this position is at the GS-12. Apply for this exciting opportunity to become a member of the National Processing Service Center Division in the Recovery Directorate!
This position is being announced under FEMA's CORE Program (Cadre of On-call Response/Recovery employees). These positions are authorized under P.L. 93-288 to perform temporary disaster work and are funded from the Disaster Relief Fund. Appointments are excepted service, temporary appointments. This is a 2 year temporary appointment in the Excepted Service.
EMERGENCY ASSIGNMENT: For all nonbargaining unit positions, the following applies: Every FEMA employee has regular and recurring emergency management responsibilities, though not every position requires routine deployment to disaster sites. All positions are subject to recall around the clock for emergency management operations, which may require irregular work hours, work at locations other than the official duty station, and may include duties other than those specified in the employee's official position description. Travel requirements in support of emergency operations may be extensive in nature (weeks to months), with little advance notice, and may require employees to relocate to emergency sites with physically austere and operationally challenging conditions.
Relocation expenses are not authorized for this position.
In this position, you will ensure that program policies and procedures are implemented in support of the National Processing Service Center Division's disaster assistance activities. Typical duties include:
- Provide day-to-day supervision of the assigned registration/helpline/processing operations in support of the delivery of disaster assistance for individual assistance in accordance with the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Act.
- Use the agency's National Emergency Management Information System (NEMIS) software to enter and retrieve information to respond to inquiries from applicants concerning the status of disaster applications.
- Analyze the procedures for Disaster Housing and Other Needs assistance processing in order to effect timely improvements and develop recommendations for changes in policies and procedures.
- Monitor, review and evaluate the effectiveness and efficiency of the NPSC in serving disaster victims.
- Administer the laws, policies, rules, regulations or other directives governing emergency management programs.