Job Title: Staff Psychologist, Syracuse Vet Center GS-180-11/13Job Announcement Number: WV-13-REW-948927
Department: Department Of Veterans Affairs
Agency: Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Friday, August 30, 2013 to
Friday, September 27, 2013
SERIES & GRADE:
Full Time -
Excepted Service Permanent
1 vacancy in the following location:
Syracuse, NY United StatesView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
United States Citizens
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 948927
Staff Psychologist, GS-180-13
Syracuse, NY Vet Center
Integrity, Commitment, Advocacy, Respect & Excellence
The VA "I CARE VALUES"
To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
This position will be filled with a Psychologist948927, Readjustment Counseling Therapist Vacancy ID 948927 or a Social Worker Vacancy ID 948413. Please go to the announcement that you are qualified for to complete the application process.
As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries.
VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/.
Special Employment Consideration: VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply.
- U. S. Citizenship
- Must pass pre-employment examination
- English Language Proficiency required
- Designated and-or Random Drug Testing required
- Background and-or Security Investigation required
- Successful completion of VA VetPro Credentialing Process
DUTIES:Back to top
The Staff Psychologist position is located at a Vet Center, which is part of the Readjustment Counseling Service, 10RCS.RCS is an outreach program that provides services in the community. The Vet Center Psychologist is responsible for providing professional clinical services to eligible veterans and family members. The incumbent also provides professional crisis intervention, outreach and community education services as needed. The incumbent establishes and maintains therapeutic relationships and exercises professional judgment in the treatment of Vet Center clients.
- Incumbent functions as a member of a multi-disciplinary clinical team providing the full range of readjustment counseling services.
- The psychologist has full professional responsibility for the psychological treatment of the complex clinical cases. He/she is responsible for the assessment and treatment of complex cases, to include PTSD.
- The Psychologist provides clinical consultation to other clinicians on the team, as necessary, and if instructed by the Team Leader or the Regional Managers Office.
- The incumbent provides at least 50% direct service time as a Psychologist to Vet Center clients and their families. The work is comprised of providing clinical services consistent with accepted standards of ethical and professional mental health treatment.
- The incumbent is required to exercise judgment in the selection of and/or adaptation of standard and accepted psychological theories, techniques and practices in treating clients or in developing new techniques and programs for the treatment of specialized problems or clinical populations.
- Some RCS outreach program activities, such as weekend Demobilization and Yellow Ribbon events, may take place in locations requiring travel. For that purpose, staff members are expected to utilize the Vet Center GSA vehicle whenever possible and must maintain a valid drivers license.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
- U.S. citizenship.
- English Language Proficiency
- Education - Doctoral Degree in Psychology from a graduate program in psychology accredited by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Internship - successful completion of an APA accredited psychology internship.
- Licensure - A full, current and unrestricted license to practice psychology at the doctoral level in a State, Territory, Commonwealth of the United States (e.g., Puerto Rico or the District of Columbia).
- New Graduates - conditional temporary appointment for up to two years pending receipt of licensure.
- Must have a valid NYS Driver's License.
Work Schedule: 1st
Shift 8:00 am to 4:30 pm (Vet Centers are open evenings and weekends to
accommodate clients who work during normal business hours. Vet Center staff are
also required to provide services at National Guard Weekend Demobilizations and
Yellow Ribbon events.)
Relocation/Recruitment Expenses: Relocation and Recruitment expenses are not authorized for this
- GS-11: Completion of APA accredited Doctoral Degree in Psychology and accredited internship.
- GS-12: In addition to meeting the basic requirements at GS-11, a Post-Doctoral Degree Fellowship may submit for experience at the GS-12 grade level OR one year of professional experience equivalent to the GS-11 grade level.
- GS-13: Two years of professional experience of which one is equivalent to the GS-12 grade level or completion on one year Fellowship and one year of professional experience.
- Specialized Experience: Professional experience must be post-doctoral degree and must have permitted the candidate to apply the knowledge, skills and abilities associated with current professional psychology practice.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
References : VA Handbook 5005/23, Part II, Appendix F7, SOCIAL WORKER QUALIFICATION STANDARD , dated February 2009, and OPM Group Coverage Qualification Standard for Professional and Scientific Positions at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/standards/IORs/GS010/0185.htm OPM Group Coverage Qualification Standard for Professional and Scientific Positions at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/standards/IORs/GS0100/0185.htm.
APPLICANTS PLEASE NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement.) Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on their application or résumé. Applicants claiming preference based on service-connected disability, or based on being the spouse or mother of a disabled or deceased Veteran, must complete an SF 15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference. Veterans who are still in the service may be granted tentative preference on the basis of information contained in their applications, but they must produce a DD Form 214 or other proof prior to appointment to document entitlement to preference. For more information on Veterans' Preference, please visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/veterans.aspx.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application, résumé and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment. You may also be evaluated based upon the question responses you provide during a structured interview. In responding to structured interview questions you should be sure to cite specific examples of experience, explain exactly what you did, and the outcome.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
To begin the process, click the Apply Online button at the right side of this screen to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the occupational questionnaire. Please ensure you click the Submit My Answers button at the end of the process.
YOU MUST INCLUDE VA FORM 10-2850c IN YOUR APPLICATION PACKAGE TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS VACANCY. You may upload the completed form to your USAJOBS or Application Manager account if you apply online. Then you can use the uploaded form again and again when applying for future vacancies. Please see this guide (http://www4.va.gov/OHRM/joblistings/uploading-and-using-documents-online.doc) for more information on uploading and re-using the form in your applications. Other required forms and documents can also be saved in your account and used the same way. Applicants are urged to apply online; this process is much easier and faster.
Note: To return to a previously Saved or Incomplete application, just reapply through your account in USAJOBS. Check your account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login) to see the status of your application after applying, including any messages that may have been sent to you.
If you cannot apply online:
- Click the following link to view and print the occupational questionnaire: View Occupational Questionnaire.
- Print this 1203FX form to provide your response to the occupational questionnaire: http://www.opm.gov./forms/pdf_fill/OPM1203fx.pdf.
- Fax the completed 1203FX form along with all supporting documents to (478)757-3144. Your 1203FX form must be placed on top of all materials being faxed and will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.
- Keep a copy of your fax receipt in case verification is needed.
To fax supporting documents you are unable to upload:
- Complete this cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf using the following Vacancy ID: 948927. You must use this fax cover sheet in order for your documents to be matched with your online application.
- Fax your documents to (478)757-3144.
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Monday, September 16, 2013.
You must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- CV or Resume.
- VA Form 10-2850c - Application for Associated Health Occupations (Available at http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850c-fill.pdf) (required).
- Occupational Questionnaire
- Optional Form 306 - Declaration for Federal Employment (Available at http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of0306.pdf). This is a required form and must be submitted with your application.
- If prior military service, include all copies of your DD Forms 214 (required). Applicants claiming preference based on service-connected disability, or based on being the spouse or mother of a disabled or deceased Veteran, must also complete and submit an SF 15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference (available at http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf).
- If currently employed in the VA system, include latest SF-50 - Notification of Personnel Action. (required).
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
After we receive your complete application package (including any required documents), your qualifications will be reviewed to decide if you meet the basic requirements. You will be notified when this decision is made.