Your Career Forecast is Sunny and Bright with the National Weather Service. The National Weather Service (NWS), the world's preeminent weather and atmospheric sciences organization, offers you an opportunity to help protect American lives and property. Since 1870, the NWS has served the public by providing forecasts and hazardous weather warnings while studying the most dynamic forces of nature. Contribute your talents to this tradition. The National Weather Service...Working together to save lives.
This position is located at the National Weather Service Alaska Region, National Tsunami Warning Center, Palmer Alaska.
This position is also announced under vacancy number NWS-AR-2013-0025 (MAP), which is open to status candidates. You must apply to both announcements if you want to be considered for both.
Salary includes Locality 24.69% and non-Federal taxed Alaska COLA 5.57%.
GS-12: $75,156 - $97,701GS-13: $89,370 - $116,180For further about working in Alaska see: http://www.arh.noaa.gov/recruitment
A one year probationary period may be required.
* A one year supervisory probationary period may be required.
* This position is not in the bargaining unit
*This vacancy may be used to fill other Supervisory Information Technology Specialist (SYSADMIN), GS-2210-12/13 positions throughout NOAA. The position must be alike (e.g.: within the same geographic locations, same grade/band, requires the same qualifications as indicated in this vacancy announcement.)
*PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Work requires some physical exertion, such as long periods of standing, recurring bending, crouching, stooping, working in cramped or confined areas, and the lifting of moderately heavy objects (e.g., handle and carry tools, equipment, and testing devices that may weigh up to 40 pounds). Climbing is required.
The individual selected for this position will…
- Ensures and/or personally participates in the hardware and software maintenance and development of assigned systems.
- Provides day-to-day supervision and technical direction to a small staff of electronics technicians and IT support staff who are charged with responsibility for maintaining, modifying, updating, repairing, and installing assigned systems (including remote sites).
- Performs quality assurance evaluations of contractor support to the Center systems and ensures contract conformance at the Center on behalf of the Contracting Officer.
- Analyzes systems operations and maintenance. Reports on systems availability and other systems maintenance profiles. Takes corrective actions or reports findings to appropriate staff.
- Maintains hardware and software systems documentation, records of communicating circuits, and configuration management records.
- Trains operational personnel on basic systems operation.
- Ensures or performs emergency maintenance and repair work for assigned systems on a recall basis during times normally scheduled as off-duty hours to ensure continued warning operations.
- Ensures a secure IT environment in accordance with appropriate NWS, NOAA, and DOC directives.