Job Title: Information Technology Spec. - GS - 2210 - 11/12/13 (Open to U.S. Citizens) - BPJob Announcement Number: NHTSA.NVS-2013-0063
Department: Department Of Transportation
Agency: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Tuesday, September 03, 2013 to
Thursday, September 12, 2013
SERIES & GRADE:
Full Time - -
WHO MAY APPLY:
Applications will be accepted from any U.S. Citizen.
This job is also being advertised for applicants eligible for status consideration. Current and former status employees and veterans who qualify under VEOA are encouraged to also apply to announcement: NHTSA.NVS-2013-0062.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is dedicated to achieving the highest standards of excellence in motor vehicle and highway safety. The agency strives to exceed the expectations of its customers through its core values of Integrity, Service and Leadership. Save lives, prevent injuries and reduce economic costs due to road traffic crashes, through education, research, safety standards and enforcement activity. Work for NHTSA.
This position is located in the Safety Systems Management Division (SSMD) NVS-413, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). This position reports directly to the SSMD Chief. You will support and provide expertise in the planning and development of Information Technology (IT) systems. Work will include both providing assistance in data management, planning, requirements analysis, design, acquisition, modification, integration, testing, and implementation to meet program, mission, and administrative requirements. You will be responsible for providing oversight on data management practices as well as ensuring the IT investment(s) assigned comply with NHTSA Capital Planning and Investment Control (CPIC) and project management planning requirements. In support of SSMD, you will also support the implementation of data standards; data use guidance and procedures; and other associated best practices as it relates to system acquisition and implementation. Additionally, you will measure and evaluate SSDM system implementation service delivery as it applies to the program requirements.
NHTSA is looking for a moderately experienced to experienced Information Technology Specialist who is knowledgeable of data management and best practices in the use of data standards. This knowledge is necessary for every area of performance in this position. Knowledge of quality control techniques sufficient to support the design, implementation and evaluation of a quality controlled system for a major information program is a must to succeed in this position.
- Applications will be accepted from any U.S. Citizen.
- Submit application and resume online by 11:59 PM EST on the closing date.
- Provide all required documents by closing date.
- Position is telework eligible.
- Announcement also advertised merit promotion: NHTSA.NVS-2013-0062.
- Announcement may be used to fill similar positions within 30 days.
DUTIES:Back to top
As the Information Technology Specialist, you will:
- Support and provide expertise in the planning and development of Information Technology (IT) systems. Work will include both providing assistance in data management, planning, requirements analysis, design, acquisition, modification, integration, testing, and implementation to meet program, mission, and administrative requirements.
- Assist in establishing criteria and standards for design practice and documentation and for operational techniques. Implement data editing, file testing, and other control procedures necessary to assure the quality and integrity of the system data.
- Lead the planning, development, building, maintenance and quality control of the system components. This includes development of system specifications, functionality, data quality checks, and computer network interfaces for data entry and communications; and assist in developing and supporting the intranet requirements for field operations.
- Lead in establishing standards and procedures and managing operation of CDAN, data activity as carried out by the NCSA staff and software or hardware contractors.
- Control the format of application databases, determine the release of data sets for use based on quality and completeness criteria, and control access to sensitive or private data.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
To meet the minimum qualifications for this position, you must meet either the education or specialized experience requirements for the grade at which you are requesting consideration.
In addition to meeting the above described specialized experience requirements, your IT experience will be evaluated and be expected to include described experience in the following competencies:
||To qualify on Education, you must have:
||To qualify on Experience, you must have one year of specialized experience equal or equivalent to the following:
||3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree OR Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree.
- Experience in data analysis and system design.
||You can also qualify based on a combination of education and experience.
||There is no education substitute.
In addition to the GS-11:
- Experience in the development of structured query language ESQL, data standards and the development of program-level processes for data management.
||There is no education substitute.
In addition to the GS-12:
- Experience assessing and formulating designs, models, plans, management, and analysis of centralized data distribution and analysis platform program including collecting data, conducting surveys of system users, analyzing the usefulness and accuracy of all data collected and coordinating with key personnel.
Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
- Attention to Detail: Work is thorough and conscientious about attending to detail.
- Customer Service: Working with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, providing information or assistance, assigning staff to resolve their problems, or satisfying their expectations; knowing about available products and services; committed to providing quality products and services.
- Oral Communication: Expressing information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); making clear and convincing oral presentations; listening to others, attending to nonverbal cues, and responding appropriately.
- Problem Solving: Identifying problems; determining accuracy and relevance of information; using sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and making recommendations based on technical requirements.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- SELECTIVE SERVICE: Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for the Selective Service.
- GOVERNMENT TRAVEL CARD: You must be able to obtain and retain a Government contractor-issued travel card to be used for official business as a condition of employment. If unable to obtain and/or retain a card, you may be subject to removal. Those who fail to meet this condition of employment will have our offer of employment rescinded.
- DEU REQUIREMENTS: Applicants selected under delegated examining procedures may be required to successfully complete a one-year probationary period (unless already completed).
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
If you meet the qualification requirements, your application will be placed in one of four categories: Platinum, Gold, Silver or Bronze, which is based upon your responses to the vacancy questions. Within these categories, applicants eligible for veteran's preference that have provided supporting documents will receive selection priority over non-veterans. The top rated applications will be reviewed for the quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the position. If your resume does not support the specialized experience or if your application does not support your answers to the Vacancy Specific Questions, your final rating may be modified and/or you may be disqualified from consideration.
To preview questions please click here.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
You must submit a complete application package (including resume, vacancy questions and supporting documents) no later than midnight Eastern Time on the closing date of the announcement.
If you are having difficulty applying online, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (202)366-1298.
- To begin, click the Apply Online button on the job announcement.
- Follow the directions to register, submit all required documents and complete the assessment questionnaire.
- You may review your saved application(s) at https://my.usajobs.gov.
The following documents must
be provided by the closing date:
Failure to submit any of the required documents by the closing date of the vacancy will result in your removal from consideration for this position.
- RESUME - Showing relevant experience and education and fully supporting the required specialized experience.
- COMPLETED QUESTIONNAIRE.
- TRANSCRIPTS (FOR THE GS-11): If you are using experience and graduate level education you must submit a copy of your college transcript. The transcripts need not be official.
- VETERANS: In order to be considered as preference eligible, you must submit a copy of your Certificate of Release or Discharge From Active Duty, DD214. Your DD-214 must show the type of discharge and dates of active duty. If you are claiming compensably disabled preference eligible, you must submit a copy of your DD214; an Application for 10-point Veteran's Preference, SF15; and the proof of entitlement of this preference which is normally an official statement, dated 1991 or later, from the Department of Veterans Affairs certifying to the present existence of the service-connected disability and indicating the percentage of your disability. Without this documentation, you will not receive veteran's preference. Additional information on veterans' preference is available in the Vet's Guide at: http://www.fedshirevets.gov/hire/hrp/vetguide/index.aspx
- SPECIAL APPOINTING AUTHORITY DOCUMENTS: If requesting concurrent consideration for:http://www.opm.gov/hr_practitioners/lawsregulations/appointingauthorities/index.asp#AppointmentsLeading Noncompetitive Non-competitive (NC) appointment eligibility, (e.g. military spouse or persons with disabilities), you must provide appropriate supporting documentation such as PCS orders describing move & marriage certificate; letter from VA or DD214 describing 100% disability of spouse; letter from State Vocational Office certifying disability, etc. For more information, visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/hire/hrp/qaspouse/index.aspx military spouse NC appointments or http://www.opm.gov/disability/PeopleWithDisabilities.asp" Persons with Disabilities NC appointments. Documents are only required if requesting non-competitive consideration.
- DISPLACED EMPLOYEE PLACEMENT DOCUMENTS: - Only required if requesting priority consideration under https: www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/ctap_guideline.pdf</A>. You must submit ALL of the FOLLOWING: your most recent performance appraisal, the proof of eligibility letter from the Agency and your most current SF-50, displaying current series and grade. To receive priority consideration, you MUST be deemed well qualified for this vacancy (falling in the Gold Category).
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
You may check your application status by logging into your USAJOBS account. Within two weeks of the closing date, your application will be reviewed and rated. Ratings will be determined based on the documents and information received by the closing date. The most highly qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration. If you are selected for an interview, the hiring manager will contact you directly. Once a hiring decision is made, we will notify all applicants of their final status.