The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is dedicated to achieving the highest standards of excellence in motor vehicle and highway safety. The agency strives to exceed the expectations of its customers through its core values of Integrity, Service and Leadership. Save lives, prevent injuries and reduce economic costs due to road traffic crashes, through education, research, safety standards and enforcement activity. Work for NHTSA.
This position is located in the Safety Systems Management Division (SSMD) NVS-413, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). This position reports directly to the SSMD Chief. You will support and provide expertise in the planning and development of Information Technology (IT) systems. Work will include both providing assistance in data management, planning, requirements analysis, design, acquisition, modification, integration, testing, and implementation to meet program, mission, and administrative requirements. You will be responsible for providing oversight on data management practices as well as ensuring the IT investment(s) assigned comply with NHTSA Capital Planning and Investment Control (CPIC) and project management planning requirements. In support of SSMD, you will also support the implementation of data standards; data use guidance and procedures; and other associated best practices as it relates to system acquisition and implementation. Additionally, you will measure and evaluate SSDM system implementation service delivery as it applies to the program requirements.
NHTSA is looking for a moderately experienced to experienced Information Technology Specialist who is knowledgeable of data management and best practices in the use of data standards. This knowledge is necessary for every area of performance in this position. Knowledge of quality control techniques sufficient to support the design, implementation and evaluation of a quality controlled system for a major information program is a must to succeed in this position.
As the Information Technology Specialist, you will:
- Support and provide expertise in the planning and development of Information Technology (IT) systems. Work will include both providing assistance in data management, planning, requirements analysis, design, acquisition, modification, integration, testing, and implementation to meet program, mission, and administrative requirements.
- Assist in establishing criteria and standards for design practice and documentation and for operational techniques. Implement data editing, file testing, and other control procedures necessary to assure the quality and integrity of the system data.
- Lead the planning, development, building, maintenance and quality control of the system components. This includes development of system specifications, functionality, data quality checks, and computer network interfaces for data entry and communications; and assist in developing and supporting the intranet requirements for field operations.
- Lead in establishing standards and procedures and managing operation of CDAN, data activity as carried out by the NCSA staff and software or hardware contractors.
- Control the format of application databases, determine the release of data sets for use based on quality and completeness criteria, and control access to sensitive or private data.