Job Title: Administrative SpecialistJob Announcement Number: 13-DE-SC-HQ-017
Department: Department Of Energy
Agency: Department of Energy
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Monday, September 09, 2013 to
Friday, September 20, 2013
SERIES & GRADE:
WHO MAY APPLY:
All U.S. Citizens
This position is also being advertised to status candidates as a Merit Promotion announcement, 13-MP-SC-HQ-022.
Relocation expenses are not authorized.
Here is your opportunity to perform important work in a challenging environment. The Office of Science is involved in a variety of sciences, science education, and funding of science research. For more information about our organization, please visit our website at http://www.science.energy.gov. For more information about the Department of Energy, please visit our website at http://www.doe.gov.
The Office of Science is the single largest supporter of basic research in the physical sciences in the United States, providing more than 40 percent of total funding for this vital area of national importance. It oversees - and is the principal federal funding agency of - the Nation's research programs in high-energy physics, nuclear physics, and fusion energy sciences. The Office of Science manages fundamental research programs in basic energy sciences, biological and environmental sciences, and computational science. In addition, the Office of Science is the Federal Government's largest single funder of materials and chemical sciences, and it supports unique and vital parts of U.S. research in climate change, geophysics, genomics, life sciences, and science education. The Office of Science manages this research portfolio through six interdisciplinary program offices: Advanced Scientific Computing Research, Basic Energy Sciences, Biological and Environmental Research, Fusion Energy Sciences, High Energy Physics and Nuclear Physics. In addition, the Office of Science sponsors a range of science education initiatives through its Workforce Development for Teachers and Scientists program. The Department of Energy, Office of Science, Office of Nuclear Physics, is seeking a motivated and highly qualified individual to serve as a Administrative Specialist.
- You must be a United States Citizen.
- This employer participates in the e-Verify program.
- Relocation is at your own expense.
- See "Other Information" section regarding Selective Service requirements.
DUTIES:Back to top
As a Administrative Support Specialist, you will:
- Conduct studies and analysis of activities to determine efficiency and utility of internal operating procedures.
- Prepare requests for personnel, including drafting/re-writing position descriptions and all necessary paperwork for personnel actions.
- Create and maintain a database of Federal and temporary personnel.
- Maintain the Associate Director's schedule and maintain time and attendance for the office.
- Prepare correspondence, reports, and presentations and receive, read, review, analyze, and track all incoming correspondence and actions.
- Prepare, submit, and track requisitions for supplies, materials, and services and coordinate the acquisition and disposal of property and inventory management.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
A qualified candidate's online application and resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level in the Federal service OR 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph. D. degree or equivalent doctoral degree. Specialized experience for this position is defined as, knowledge of a variety of administrative and office support functions in order to support the program office Associate Director.
EDUCATION: Are you using education to qualify?
If you are using education to qualify, you must provide documentation (transcripts or course listing) supporting your education claims. Education must be obtained from an accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.Foreign education must be reviewed by an organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For special instructions pertaining to foreign education and a list of organizations that can evaluate foreign education, see the Department of Education website.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application will be rated by our application system using the Category Rating procedure. A quality review will then be conducted by the HR Office and/or Subject Matter Expert (SME). Your application is rated based on the extent and quality of your experience, education (if applicable to the job), and training described in your online resume/questionnaire as related to the duties of this position. The quality categories are usually defined as "Best Qualified", "Well Qualified" and "Qualified". Veterans Preference eligibles will be listed at the top of whichever category your score places you in. CP/CPS veterans are placed at the top of the highest category for all positions except professional and scientific positions at GS-9 and higher.
If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses you provided in your online questionnaire, or if you fail to submit required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted.
To preview questions please click here.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
To be considered for this position, you must submit a complete online application no later than 11:59pm (Eastern Time) on the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to submit a complete application prior to the closing time (regardless of when you started) the application system will not allow you to finish. Requests for extensions will not be granted so please begin the application process allowing yourself enough time to finish the application. Our application system displays a deadline timer in the top-left corner of the screen for your reference.Steps to submit a complete application:
If your résumé does not support the responses in your application questionnaire, or if you fail to submit required documentation BEFORE the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted. INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
- You must have a USAJOBS account and be logged in.
- You must have a completed résumé. Please note that some DOE offices do not accept uploaded résumés and require that you have a completed résumé within your USAJOBS profile using the Résumé Builder (click the link for more information).
- Once you are logged in and all of your application materials ready, click the Apply Now button.
- You must respond to all application assessment questions, carefully following all instructions provided.
- You will then be asked to upload supporting documentation, which may include (but is not limited to): transcripts, portfolio samples, certifications, and other supporting documents.
- IMPORTANT: In the final step of the application process you will be shown a copy of your resume and all the information you entered during the application process--YOU ARE NOT DONE YET! You must click the 'Finish' button at the bottom of this final page and receive confirmation that your application has been received. If you do not click 'Finish', your application will not be received. Your USAJOBS status page may show a complete application even if you have not fully completed the final step of the application process.
This vacancy is being concurrently advertised under Merit Promotion procedures as announcement # 13-MP-SC-HQ-022 . You must apply to the vacancy for which you wish to receive consideration. If you wish to be considered for this position under both DE and MP procedures, you must apply to both announcements.
Please carefully review the following list to determine what documentation you need to submit. Some documents may not apply to all applicants.
If you are unsure, click the link for each document type to read more.
- ALL APPLICANTS: Résumé supporting your specialized experience and responses to the online questionnaire.
- Applicants using education to qualify: Documentation verifying your educational claims which can include unofficial transcripts or any report listing institution, course title, credits earned and grade. Education cannot be substituted for experience in some positions at higher grade levels. Please see the Education section for more information.
- Veterans: veteran eligibility documentation (DD-214, VA Letter, Standard Form (SF) 15 as applicable). Please note: If you are a veteran who has not yet been discharged, you may provide a statement of intent to discharge from your agency to receive Veterans Preference under the VOW (Veterans Opportunity to Work) to Hire Heroes Act of 2011.
- Persons with Disabilities: Individuals with intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities may apply for appointment through the Schedule A hiring authority. Certified verification of a disability from a licensed medical professional; a licensed vocational rehabilitation specialist; or any Federal, state, or District of Columbia agency or U.S. territory that issues or provides disability benefits will be required.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
After each step in the recruitment process, your status will be updated in USAJOBS. You can review your status in USAJOBS at any time. You may also elect to receive status updates via e-mail by changing the notification settings in your USAJOBS profile. Please check that your USAJOBS profile contact information is current and correct each time you apply to a job--this will ensure we are able to contact you as quickly as possible.