Unlock secrets in deep oceans, track rapidly moving storms, operate state-of-the-art environmental satellites, chart the Nation's waterways, formulate models to forecast climate trends, protect and preserve our living marine resources..it's all in a day's work at NOAA!
NESDIS is looking for good people to manage our world-class operations. Our satellites monitor U.S. and global weather conditions, and we also have three world class data centers. The data from NESDIS satellites help save lives and resources. Come be a part of NESDIS!
This position is located in the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), National Environmental Satellite, Data and Information Service (NESDIS) Office of Satellite and Product Operations (OSPO). For more information click here: http://www.ospo.noaa.gov/
This position will be filled under the DOC Alternative Personnel System (CAPS). This system replaced the Federal GS pay plan and structure. Under CAPS, positions are classified by career, pay plan, and pay band. The ZP-04 is equivalent to the GS-13/14. For more information on CAPS click here: http://ohrm.os.doc.gov/index.htm
This position is also announced under vacancy number NSDIS-OSPO-2013-0028, which is open to status candidates. You must apply to both announcements if you want to be considered for both.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- A one year probationary period may be required.
- Payment of relocation expenses is not authorized.
- This position is not in the bargaining unit.
- This vacancy may be used to fill other Physical Scientist, 1301-04, positions throughout NOAA. The position must be alike (e.g.: within the same geographic locations, same grade/band requires the same qualifications as indicated in this vacancy announcement).
- 24 hour-on-call via cell phone for satellite anomalies.
- Overnight travel approximately once every two months.
The individual selected for this position will:
- Support the Defense Meteorological Satellite Program (DMSP) by monitoring DMSP ground system performance; developing operational plans and procedures; developing emergency and recovery plans; resolving ground system anomalies;
- Provide engineering leadership for DMSP ground system activities by analyzing ground system performance, developing and reviewing ground system requirements, developing and reviewing ground system changes and documentation and coordinating ground system related activities;
- Lead DMSP ground system configuration management by analyzing ground system configuration change requests, developing and reviewing regression test plans, developing and reviewing system acceptance plans and by developing and reviewing configuration management plans and procedures;
- Support DMSP launch activities by leading DMSP ground system team to ensure launch readiness, coordinating with external partners to ensure all launch requirements are met and supporting validation of launch and early orbit products and simulations for subsystem.