The mission of the U.S. Department of the Interior (DOI) is to protect America's natural resources for future generations, provide access to our nation's natural and cultural heritage, offer recreational opportunities, honor its trust responsibilities to American Indians and Alaska Natives, conduct scientific research, provide wise stewardship of energy and mineral resources, and conserve and protect fish and wildlife.
The Department of the Interior, Office of Inspector General (OIG) is an independent office within the Department of the Interior (DOI) whose mission is to promote excellence, integrity, and accountability throughout DOI. The OIG conducts investigations, evaluations, and audits in order to enhance effectiveness and efficiency and to prevent and detect waste, fraud, and mismanagement in DOI programs and operations.
As an Information Technology Specialist within OIG's Information Technology Division, Office of Management, you will support the unique mission of the OIG primarily in the area of information systems administration and development, oversight, telecommunications, and information management. You will play an important role in enabling the OIG to advance its mission of providing independent oversight and promoting excellence in the programs and management of DOI.
Selective Placement Factor: This position has a selective placement factor (SPF). SPFs are specific qualifications that are in addition to the minimum requirements for a position. Applicants who do not meet these requirements are ineligible for further consideration. Candidates must possess any current Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) certification from ICS2 to be considered. You are required to provide documentation to support your claim.
Duties: The selectee will act as a Network Administrator of the servers and applications unique to the OIG environment. In this capacity, the selectee will perform the following duties:
- Recommends installation of new or modified Network equipment (WAN or LAN) including communication lines, bridges, modems, multiplexes, network hardware and software for designing and implementing assurance measures to ultimately protect systems from intrusions or corruption by any inside/outside unauthorized entry.
- Using network management software, monitors network activity and tunes parameters where feasible to ensure optimum network performance. This includes monitoring all devices such as routers, hubs, and switches and data circuits.
- Monitors and evaluates existing telecommunications Cisco hardware and software for efficient and effective performance and recommends improvement measures as necessary. This includes in-depth analyses of all ongoing computer resource requirements, interfaces between existing systems and overall input on the network operating environment.
- Acts as a liaison to the Department regarding network integration and migration initiatives. This includes participating in conference calls and off-site meetings as necessary to stay informed of on-going developments and initiatives.
- Performs software maintenance and tuning to maintain optimum system performance and hardware utilization.