This position is located in the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), Office of the Director (OD), Office of Science Management and Operations (OSMO), Office of Strategic Planning, Initiative Development and Analysis (OSPIDA), Referral and Program Analysis Branch (RPAB).
The NIAID conducts and supports basic and applied research to better understand, treat, and ultimately prevent infectious, immunologic, and allergic diseases. For more than 60 years, NIAID research has led to new therapies, vaccines, diagnostic tests, and other technologies that have improved the health of millions of people in the United States and around the world.
The RPAB is responsible for the intra-institute program referral assignments of all research, training, career and fellowship grant applications, and the analysis, interpretation and classification of the scientific content of all NIAID grant, contract, and intramural projects.
You will serve as a Biologist with authority to review and assign research, training and fellowship grant applications to program areas. If selected for this position, you will perform the following duties:
- Interpret the research being proposed in the grant application, make assignment decisions and resolve conflicts.
- Analyze and interpret the scientific concepts and approaches of research, training, intramural and contract projects and for the selection of codes for input into the computerized system.
- Serve as a resource for policy makers, both within the Institute and at the NIH level by providing accurate, meaningful and properly evaluated information, which is used as a basis for policy decisions.
- Provide complete and accurate administrative and scientific information for reports such as the Directors Congressional Briefing Reports and reports to the Office of AIDS Research (OAR) as well as to other NIH and interagency databases through use of the Science Coding and Reporting System (SCORS).
- Prepare tabulations, briefs, and technical reports for submission to other ICs, NIH OD, and the NIAID Director.
If you are selected at the GS-09 or GS-11 level, you will essentially perform the same duties as those at the full performance level described above, however, duties are less complex and will be performed under closer supervision with more detailed guidance.