Job Title: Psychologist (Associate Chief of Staff - Mental Health Services)Job Announcement Number: VHA-659-13-AK-950381
Department: Department Of Veterans Affairs
Agency: Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Wednesday, August 28, 2013 to
Friday, December 13, 2013
SERIES & GRADE:
Full Time -
Excepted Service Permanent
1 vacancy in the following location:
Salisbury, NC View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
United States Citizens
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN) 950381
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
NOTE: The Professional Standards Board (a peer-review group) will review the selected candidates education and experience and recommend the step at which the candidate will be placed in that specific grade. The salary is based on the grade and step approved for the selected candidate.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
The W.G. "Bill" Hefner VA Medical Center, Salisbury has an opening for an Associate Chief of Staff (Mental Health) Psychologist. This position will be located in Salisbury, NC. This position may be filled as a Nurse, Psychologist, Social Worker or Psychiatrist.
As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries. For more information about the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov
Salisbury VA Medical Center, a large level 1C complexity facility providing services for over 88,000 Veterans, is seeking an accomplished leader to be the Associate Chief of Staff (ACOS) for Mental Health. Salisbury VAMC Mental Health service is a designated VA Mental Health Center of Excellence which provides acute and sub-acute inpatient mental health care, residential mental health treatment services for substance abuse and a specialized inpatient PTSD unit. In addition, Salisbury VAMC provides the continuum of outpatient mental health services including general mental health clinics, specialty PTSD treatment, addictions treatment, tele-mental health services, primary care mental health and vocational rehabilitation services. The ACOS for MHS is administratively and clinically responsible for all MHS staff and programs at all Salisbury VAMC sites.
Salisbury VAMC has a strong academic affiliation with the Wake Forest School of Medicine and with the Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM), Virginia. Because the MHS trains a large number of health care professionals, the candidate will need experience in developing and maintaining excellent clinical training programs.
- Recruitment/relocation incentive may be authorized for highly qualified candidates.
- PCS Travel is authorized. Guaranteed Home Buy Out is not authorized. The Department of Veterans Affairs offers Permanent Change of Station (PCS) relocation services. Permanent Change of Station is the relocation of a household due to government convenience in connection with a transfer between duty stations or facilities. For more information go to http://vaww.fscdirect.fsc.va.gov/pcs.asp
Salisbury provides all the perks of a small town but is located just a short 30 minute drive from metropolitan Charlotte, NC.
For more information about the W. G. (Bill) Hefner VAMC and Salisbury NC please visit the following links:
- Small, historic city located in the heart of the Piedmont region of North Carolina
- Moderate climate which enjoys four distinct seasons
- Located only 35 miles from the metropolitan area of Charlotte and 40 miles from Greensboro and Winston-Salem, NC
- Home to the Salisbury-Rowan Symphony and the Meroney Theatre featuring the Piedmont Players, one of the state's oldest community theatre groups
- Multiple parks and facilities within a short distance offer hiking, fishing, family outings or a picnic
- Golf, tennis, softball and swimming may be enjoyed at one of many public facilities.
- Blue Ridge Mountains are a short two-hour drive away and the Carolina Coast is about 3 hours away
- Halfway between Washington DC and Atlanta GA, Salisbury is within easy travel of any major city on the East Coast
- Charlotte International Airport is less than an hour away and provides service to all of the U.S. and many global destinations
- Must pass pre-employment examination
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Designated and-or Random Drug Testing required
- Background and-or Security Investigation required
DUTIES:Back to top
The ACOS for Mental Health is a position that provides management leadership and oversight of all mental health clinical, educational, and research activities at the Salisbury VAMC. The incumbent is a key member of the organizations clinical leadership team and reports directly to the Chief of Staff (COS). He/she ensures observance of federal, national, and local regulatory policy and accreditation requirements governing the medical center. He/She is responsible for strategic planning, budget oversight, staff recruitment/management and quality assurance.
The ACOS for Mental Health functions as a liaison to the ACOS for Education & Research and affiliated health professional schools for undergraduate and graduate education issues. He/She ensures that mental health practitioners demonstrate effectiveness in teaching and comply with necessary trainee supervision requirements. The ACOS of Mental Health also functions as a liaison for research to facilitate research grants and expand research opportunities and initiatives. The ACOS for Mental Health is expected to maintain all necessary credentials in their respective area in order to provide clinical care 20 percent of the time.
The ACOS for Mental Health is responsible for planning, organizing, developing, implementing, coordinating, and refining a comprehensive patient management, clinical support and administrative program; providing services and technical counsel necessary to meet clinical, procedural, legal and administrative requirements relating to the care and treatment of both inpatients and outpatients. Incumbent provides a climate in which clinicians can care for patients with an awareness of administrative implications of his/her actions, without feeling he/she is working under unnecessary constraints. Expertise along broad clinical and administrative levels is required to meet the needs of this large, complex patient population, and to integrate Service Line functions with those of other Service Lines, as well as with other VA entities within and outside the local Veterans Integrated Service Network (VISN).
Incumbent is responsible for implementing VHA policies and regulations governing broad administrative aspects of the medical center. In order to affect the policies, incumbent must have the skills in management theory, cost-benefit, data and statistical analysis.
Other key duties and responsibilities:
Serves on a variety of medical center planning committees, advisory groups and chartered action teams.
Oversees clinical and administrative performance measures.
Responsible for service line strategic planning, budget and resource management.
Develops formal systematic, improvement plans for quality measures, access and
medical services delivery.
Serves as leader/liaison with affiliated schools regarding medical teaching issues and provider appointments.
Oversees the establishment of program monitors and outcome measurements using programs using data-driven quality assurance processes.
Assures all Mental Health programs are compliant with applicable Federal and State laws.
Manages veteran complaints and issues.
Develops program goals and objectives to meet VHA Mental Health requirements.
Conducts performance appraisals of staff, and addresses disciplinary issues.
Functions as a member of the Clinical Executive Board.
Participates in clinical teaching.
Assures appropriate training related to MH issues is completed for all Salisbury VAMC staff involved in patient care activities.
Develops Mental Health Service policies and procedures consistent with VA Directives. Develops policies and procedures which maintain VA required accreditation by the Joint Commission, CARF and other MH accrediting organizations.
Serves on facility Professional Standards Board (PSB).
Oversees all hiring of professional mental health staff.
Directly supervises both clinical and administrative personnel.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Have a doctoral degree in psychology from a graduate program in psychology accredited by the American Psychological Association (APA). The specialty area of the degree must be consistent with the assignment for which the applicant is to be employed.
- Have successfully completed a professional psychology internship training program that has been accredited by APA. Exceptions: (1) new VHA psychology internship programs that are in the process of applying for APA accreditation are acceptable in fulfillment of the internship requirement, provided that such programs were sanctioned by the VHA Central Office Program Director for Psychology and the VHA Central Office of Academic Affiliations at the time that the individual was an intern and (2) VHA facilities who offered full one-year pre-doctoral internships prior to PL 96-151 (pre-1979) are considered to be acceptable in fulfillment of the internship requirement.
Licensure - Hold a full, current, and unrestricted license to practice psychology at the doctoral level in a State, Territory, Commonwealth of the United States (e.g., Puerto Rico), or the District of Columbia.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
GS- 15 Experience: At least 1 year of professional psychologist experience equivalent to the GS-14, and must fully meet the KSAs for that level. In addition, the candidate must demonstrate the following professional KSAs and demonstrate the potential to acquire the assignment specific KSAs designated by an asterisk (*):
(1) Ability to effectively supervise and manage a large group of professional staff.IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
*(2) Ability to correctly assess qualifications and potential of current and prospective employees.
*(3) Ability to develop appropriate productivity standards for professional staff, often across multiple program lines.
(4) Skill in interpersonal relationships including conflict resolution and ability to work collaboratively with supervisors from other units.
*(5) Knowledge of the goals and objectives of the medical center and VISN and ability to communicate these to subordinates.
References: http://vaww.va.gov/OHRM/Directives-Handbooks/Documents/5005.pdf Part II Appendix G18
PLEASE NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement.) Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
The work is basically sedentary and requires some walking, standing, bending, lifting and carrying light items such as paper, books, and charts. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation.
Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veterans Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. For more information, please review the information for disabled Veterans in the application checklist or visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application, résumé and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
BENEFITS:Back to top
Working for the Department of Veterans Affairs offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes, in part, paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, life insurance, health benefits, thrift savings plan, and participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System. In addition to traditional "dollars and cents" benefits, we offer a range of benefits to help balance work and life. For more information please visit us at http://www.va.gov/JOBS/Job_Benefits/benefits.asp.
Receiving Service Credit for Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave: Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
All applicants are encouraged to apply online. To apply for this position, you must complete the occupational questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Friday, December 13, 2013 to receive consideration.
It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
- To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
- Click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application package.
To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
·Other (Application for Associated Health Occupations VA Form 10-2850c)
·TranscriptApplicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:
·Other Veterans Document
VA Form 10-2850c - Application for Associated Health Occupations (Available at http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850c-fill.pdf) (required).
OF-0306 - Declaration of Federal Employment (Available at http://www.opm.gov/forms/Optional-forms) (required).
use this checklist to make sure you have included
other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your
transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation
to support Veterans Preference claims, or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for
displaced Federal employees). You will not be contacted for additional
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents:
You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.
If you completed the occupational questionnaire online and are unable to upload supporting document(s):
- To fax your documents, you must use the following cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf and provide the required information. The Vacancy ID is 950381.
- Fax your documents to 1-478-757-3144.
If you cannot complete the Application Package online, you may fax all of your materials. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Friday, December 13, 2013 to receive consideration. Keep a copy of your fax confirmation in the event verification is needed.
To complete the occupational questionnaire and submit via fax:
- Click the following link to view and print the occupational questionnaire View Occupational QuestionnaireView Occupational Questionnaire
- Print the 1203FX form, follow the instructions and provide your responses to the occupational questionnaire items http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdfimage/opm1203fx.pdf.
- Fax the completed 1203FX form along with any supporting documents to 1-478-757-3144. Your 1203FX will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
After we receive your complete application package (including any required documents), your qualifications will be reviewed to decide if you meet the basic requirements. You will be notified when this decision is made.