Job Title:Medical Support Assistant (MSA)
Department:Department Of Veterans Affairs
Agency:Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
Job Announcement Number:VC-13-343-978157-PDP
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Thursday, August 22, 2013 to
Wednesday, September 11, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time -
Excepted Service Permanent|
|1 vacancy in the following location:|
Billings, MT United StatesView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|United States Citizens |
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 948157 (Please include this number on all faxed documents.)
We are currently hiring for positions in our new, larger Community Based Outpatient Clinic in Billings, MT. This clinic is scheduled to open in early spring of 2014! Projected start date for the applicant selected for this position is January or February 2014.
To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries.
Special Employment Consideration: VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply.
NOTE: The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-5. The actual grade at which an applicant may be selected for this vacancy is in the range of GS-3 to GS-5. The Professional Standards Board (a peer-review group) will review the selected candidates education and experience and recommend the grade and step at which the candidate will be placed. The salary is based on the grade and step approved for the selected candidate.
One (1) full time position. Tour of Duty: Monday through Friday, 8:00am-4:30pm
This is an open continuous announcement. Qualified applicants will be referred to the selecting official when positions become available.
- U. S. Citizenship
- Must pass pre-employment examination
- English Language Proficiency required
- Designated and-or Random Drug Testing required
- Background and-or Security Investigation required
DUTIES:Back to top
Medical Support Assistant is the front line contact with patients and staff, the incumbent sets the tone for perception concerning quality of healthcare services at VA. A high degree of tact and diplomacy is required when dealing with veterans who have multiple health problems and may be frustrated with the administrative process associated with diagnosis and treatment.
Medical Support Assistants (MSAs) in the VA Montana Health Care System (VAMTHCS) perform a variety of technical support duties that facilitate the work of physicians, physician assistants, nurses, nursing assistants, and other members of the medical facility who provide direct patient care. This position is located in the outpatient/specialty services.
The MSA, GS-5 will perform at a competent level. The MSA within this organization is responsible for delivering administrative support to our staff and supervisors associated with the PACT Teams/primary care/specialty clinic(s) in VAMTHCS. The MSA will provide reception and support by greeting Veterans, assisting to gather information, answering the phone, referring Veterans to appropriate personnel and other duties related to Veterans.
Relocation Expenses: Relocation expenses are not authorized for this position.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
- U.S. citizenship.
- Experience: Six months of clerical or office work that indicates the ability to acquire the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of the position.
GS-3 (entry level)
- None beyond the basic requirements as described above.
- Basic requirements: and
- Experience: One year of clerical or office work that indicates the ability to acquire the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of the position; OR one year of education above high school; OR a combination
GS-5 (full performance)
- Basic requirements; and
- Experience: Two years of clerical or office work that indicates the ability to acquire the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of the position; OR two years of education above high school; OR a combination
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
References : Input applicable reference and links. For example: VA Handbook 5005/23, Part II, Appendix G45, Medical Support Assistant QUALIFICATION STANDARD , dated June 2012, and OPM Qualification Standard for Medical Support Assistant Positions at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/Standards/IORs/gs0600/0679.htm and OPM Group Coverage Qualification Standard for Clerical and Administrative Support Positions at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/Standards/group-stds/gs-cler.asp.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The work is mostly sedentary and is performed in a clinic responsible for treating patients with a wide variety of medical problems. Normal safety precautions and practices are required for working a health care environment. This position requires emotional ability to deal effectively with multi-tasking and high volume of patient flow. Other physical demands include reaching, bending, stretching, walking, and carrying light loads of supplies.
APPLICANTS PLEASE NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement.) Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on their application or résumé. Applicants claiming preference based on service-connected disability, or based on being the spouse or mother of a disabled or deceased Veteran, must complete an SF 15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference. Veterans who are still in the service may be granted tentative preference on the basis of information contained in their applications, but they must produce a DD Form 214 or other proof prior to appointment to document entitlement to preference. For more information on Veterans' Preference, please visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/veterans.aspx.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application, résumé and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment. You may also be evaluated based upon the question responses you provide during a structured interview. In responding to structured interview questions you should be sure to cite specific examples of experience, explain exactly what you did, and the outcome.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
To begin the process, click the Apply Online button at the right side of this screen to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the occupational questionnaire. Please ensure you click the Submit My Answers button at the end of the process.
YOU MUST INCLUDE VA FORM 10-2850c IN YOUR APPLICATION PACKAGE TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS VACANCY. You may upload the completed form to your USAJOBS or Application Manager account if you apply online. Then you can use the uploaded form again and again when applying for future vacancies. Please see this guide (http://www4.va.gov/OHRM/joblistings/uploading-and-using-documents-online.doc) for more information on uploading and re-using the form in your applications. Other required forms and documents can also be saved in your account and used the same way. Applicants are urged to apply online; this process is much easier and faster.
Note: To return to a previously Saved or Incomplete application, just reapply through your account in USAJOBS. Check your account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login) to see the status of your application after applying, including any messages that may have been sent to you.
If you cannot apply online:
- Click the following link to view and print the occupational questionnaire: View Occupational Questionnaire.
- Print this 1203FX form to provide your response to the occupational questionnaire: http://www.opm.gov./forms/pdf_fill/OPM1203fx.pdf.
- Fax the completed 1203FX form along with all supporting documents to (478)757-3144. Your 1203FX form must be placed on top of all materials being faxed and will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.
- Keep a copy of your fax receipt in case verification is needed.
To fax supporting documents you are unable to upload:
- Complete this cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf using the following Vacancy ID: 948157. You must use this fax cover sheet in order for your documents to be matched with your online application.
- Fax your documents to (478)757-3144.
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Wednesday, September 11, 2013.
You must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- CV or Resume.
- VA Form 10-2850c - Application for Associated Health Occupations (Available at http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850c-fill.pdf) (required).
- OF 306 - Declaration for Federal Employment (Available at http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of0306.PDF) (required).
- Occupational Questionnaire
- If prior military service, include all copies of your DD Forms 214 or proof of service (required to receive credit for military service or claim veterans preference). Applicants claiming preference based on service-connected disability, or based on being the spouse or mother of a disabled or deceased Veteran, must also complete and submit an SF 15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference (available at http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf).
- If currently employed in the VA system, include latest SF-50 - Notification of Personnel Action. (required for current or former federal employees).
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
After we receive your complete application package (including any required documents), your qualifications will be reviewed to decide if you meet the basic requirements. You will be notified when this decision is made.