This position is located in the Office of
the Regional Counsel Department of Veterans Affairs, VA Medical Center. The
purpose of this position is to serve as Paralegal Specialist with
responsibility to provide direct support to attorneys who investigate, litigate
or provide litigation support for the full range of cases in the Office of
General Counsel. (e.g. Federal Tort Claims Act, Civilian Employees' Claims Act,
Freedom of Information Act, Privacy Act, laws relating to post fund/escheat
case, and laws relating to guardianship, probate, commitment, and ethics laws,
rules and regulations). Assists in the
evaluation, development, litigation, and administrative hearings of the Equal
Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the Merit Systems Protection Board
(MSPB), Arbitration, Unfair Labor Practices (ULP's) and grievances.
- Responsible for preparing for and attending hearings and court appearances, interviews potential witnesses for cases, prepare witnesses for testimony/hearings, provides input on settlement discussions, participates in creation of questions, reviews and prepares exhibits for witness prep.
- Prepares legal research memoranda for attorneys, drafts
correspondence to opposing counsel, coordinates discovery documents for
production, reviews discovery documents for use as exhibits, and investigates property
damage/personal injury tort claims.
- Researches legal issues on litigation cases, legislation
and statutes, researches claims including legal standards and facts, prepares
legal analysis for attorneys.
- Coordinates case loads for attorneys, coordinates
scheduling of hearings, assures cases are accurate in electronic case record, drafts
discovery, motions, and pleadings for attorney review.
- Drafts pleadings, discovery, and other documents, reviews
opposing pleadings, discovery, etc., prepares investigation reports on tort
cases, ensures claims, etc. filed against agency are legally sufficient.
Work Schedule: 8:00 am to 4:30 pm (Flexible work schedule may be available.)
Position Description Title/PD#: PD# 807063 and 807062
Relocation Expenses: Relocation expenses are not authorized for this position.
Promotion Potential: The selectee may be promoted to the full performance level without further competition when all regulatory, qualification, and performance requirements are met. Selection at a lower grade level does not guarantee promotion to the full performance level.