You qualify at the GS-13 grade level if you possess one (1) year of specialized experience at the GS-12 level performing duties such as:
- Monitoring and defining remediation activities for findings resulting from financial statement and internal control testing;
- Performing or monitoring auditing or accounting services for Federal, State, or local organizations;
- Monitoring, evaluating and reporting budgetary and financial policies by rendering interpretations of guidelines, directives and policies; and
- Organizing and working as a team and/or task force across organizational lines to monitor progress ensuring objectives and milestones are achieved.
Qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement. Qualification claims will be subject to verification.
Basic Educational Requirements:
Degree: accounting; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law. (The term "accounting" means "accounting and/or auditing" in this standard. Similarly, "accountant" should be interpreted, generally, as "accountant and/or auditor.")
Combination of education and experience: at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge. The applicant's background must also include one of the following:
1. Twenty-four semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law;
2. A certificate as Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination; or
3. Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing, e.g., 15 semester hours, but that does not fully satisfy the 24-semester-hour requirement of paragraph 1, provided that (a) the applicant has successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, auditing, or a related field, e.g., valuation engineering or financial institution examining; (b) a panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors has determined that the applicant has demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in paragraph 1; and (c) except for literal nonconformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, the applicant's education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements.
Requirements by Closing Date: Unless otherwise noted, you must meet all requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
Probationary Period: This is a full-time permanent position (Career/Career-Conditional appointment). Upon appointment to this position, you may be required to serve a one-year probationary period.
Proof of Education: If basing your qualifications on education, you must submit transcripts or list of college courses, with credit hours, major(s) and grade point average or class ranking. (Prior to appointment, an official college transcript will be required.) This education must be from an institution accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
We will review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. If you meet the minimum qualifications, your experience, education and training will be rated using an Assessment Questionnaire. The questions are related to the following fundamental competencies (or Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities) needed to perform the duties of this job: Arithmetic, Attention to Detail, Decision Making, Oral Communication, Problem Solving, Reading, and Writing.
Based on your responses, you will be placed in one of the following categories:
- Best Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a superior level of all evaluation criteria.
- Well Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a satisfactory level of the evaluation criteria.
- Qualified: Applicants possessing the basic qualifications, with general knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Applicants in the best qualified category will be referred to the hiring manager and may be called for an interview.
ICTAP/CTAP Eligibles: If you have never worked for the federal government, you are not ICTAP/CTAP eligible. Information about ICTAP or CTAP eligibility is on the OPM's Career Transition Resources website at http://www.opm.gov/ctap/index.asp. To be considered well qualified under ICTAP/CTAP you must be placed in the well qualified category for this position as described above.
Veterans: Veterans with 5-point preference who meet the eligibility and qualification requirements are placed above non-preference eligibles within the category in which they are qualified. Veterans who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10% are placed in the best qualified category above non-preference eligibles, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-09 grade level or higher. This position is considered scientific/professional. For more information regarding veterans' preference, please see: http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.