In order to be qualified for this position, you must meet the basic education requirement for the GS-0801, 0830, 0806 Engineering positions. You must possess one of the following:
A. I have successfully completed a four year course of study leading to a Bachelor's or higher degree in professional engineering from a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum.
- OR -
B. I have successfully completed a four year course of study leading to a Bachelor's degree in professional engineering that included differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics.
- OR -
C. I possess a current registration as a professional engineer by any State, the District of Columbia, Guam, or Puerto Rico.
- OR -
D. I do not have a degree as described in (A) or (B), but I have passed the Engineer-in-Training (EIT) examination, and in addition, I have a combination of education in the field of general engineering and professional engineering experience which totals at least four years.
- OR -
E. I do not have a degree as described in (A) or (B) above, but I have completed at least 60 semester hours of course work in the physical, mathematical and engineering sciences. This course work included differential and integral calculus, as well as courses in at least five of the seven areas listed in response (B). Also, I have professional general engineering experience which, when combined with my education as described above, totals at least four years.
- OR -
F. I have a Bachelor's or higher degree in engineering technology, chemistry, physics, architecture, computer science, mathematics, hydrology, geology, or another scientific field directly related to engineering. In addition, I have at least one year of professional engineering experience acquired under professional engineering supervision and guidance.
In addition to meeting the basic education requirement, you must also meet the requirement(s) for the GS-7 level: At least one year of specialized experience that included participating in the evaluation of the design and manufacture of regulated products, such as tobacco products; assisting in the review and evaluation of scientific data to determine its completeness or accuracy; performing literature reviews to gather information used for regulatory or scientific purposes; and editing existing reports, memos, presentations, or correspondence related to the results of scientific tests or studies; or a bachelor's degree in a professional engineering curriculum AND meet one of the superior academic achievement provisions; or one year (18 semester hours) of graduate level education in engineering, physics, or a closely related field that provided the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to successfully complete the work of the position; or a combination of specialized experience and graduate level education that when combined, equal 100% of the total requirement; or have successfully completed a five-year program of study of at least 160 semester hours leading to a bachelor's degree in engineering from an accredited institution.
If you are claiming education as any part of your qualifications for this position, you must submit an official transcript, unofficial transcript, or a list including courses, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned. Degree requirements must be met within 30 days of the closing date of this job announcement and your transcript(s) submitted must reflect this.
This position requires that specific course(s) be demonstrated to meet the basic education requirement. Your transcript(s) must clearly demonstrate the course(s) listed in the qualification requirement section. If the transcript(s) does not clearly demonstrate this you must submit a copy of the course description and/or other documentation demonstrating that the courses are equivalent. Failure to provide any of the above will result in an ineligible rating.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program. For further information, click on foreign education
All qualification requirements must be met by 11:59 PM (Eastern Time) on the closing date of this vacancy announcement.
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
5. Financial disclosure statement may be required.
6. One-year probationary period may be required.
7. Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses: May be authorized
8. Bargaining Unit Position: Yes
9. Drug Screening Required: No
10. Recruitment incentives may be authorized: May be authorized
11. Student loan repayment incentive authorized: May be authorized
12. Annual leave for non-federal service authorized: May be authorized
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the job opportunity announcement closes, a review of your résumé and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job.
If, after reviewing your résumé and supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your responses when compared to your background information, your score may be adjusted to more accurately reflect your skills and abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Qualified candidates will be assigned to the following quality categories:
Best Qualified - Meets the minimum qualification requirements and excels in most requirements of the position.
Well Qualified - Meets the minimum qualification requirements and meets most requirements of the position.
Qualified - Meet the minimum qualification requirements, but does not possess the relevant competencies to a substantive degree.
The category assignment is a measure of the degree in which your background matches the required competencies listed below for this position.
- Engineering Research Development
- Written Communication
- Oral Communication
Application of Veterans' Preference: Under Category Rating procedures, veteran preference eligibles will receive selection consideration before non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
To preview the assessment questionnaire, click the following link: View Assessment Questions