This position has a positive education requirement.
To qualify for this position you must meet one of the basic requirements described below.
Completion of all requirements for a bachelors degree in accounting from an accredited college or university; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law.
Candidates may also qualify through a combination of education and experience: at least 4 years of professional accounting experience (at least one year must be equivalent to the journeyman level) or an equivalent combination of professional accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge AND 24 semester hours in accounting/auditing courses or a certificate as a Certified Public Accountant or Certified Internal Auditor.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement, qualified applicants must possess:
One year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to that of the next lower grade in the federal service, which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position, is required.
Specialized experience is defined as:
1) Providing professional accounting services that ensure the overall effectiveness and efficiency of the accounting operations in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP);
2) Independently applying analytical and evaluative methods and techniques to evaluate and interpret accounting data, financial statements and reports, processes, accounting/financial systems, or effectiveness of internal controls; AND
3) Providing technical accounting expertise to assist in the design, implementation and assessment of operating systems, procedures, or internal control processes.
Education is not substitutable for specialized experience for this grade level.
Background or Security Investigation: This is a non-critical sensitive position. Employment in this position requires a background investigation which may delay your starting date. If you are selected and cannot obtain a favorable security determination within a reasonable period of time due to disclosed or undisclosed background issues, the employment offer may be withdrawn. Individuals selected for this position are required to obtain and maintain a favorable security determination to occupy a sensitive position within the agency as a condition of employment. Failure to maintain eligibility to occupy a sensitive position may result in termination. For more information see the security section of Understanding Vacancy Announcements.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application will be evaluated and rated under the Category Rating and Selection Procedures. All information included in the resume and Occupational Questionnaire is subject to review and verification. HR will review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the minimum qualification requirements. Applicants meeting the minimum requirements will be further evaluated based upon information you provided in the Occupational Questionnaire. If a determination is made that the work experience described in your submitted resume does not support your responses to the self-assessment questionnaire, your score may be reduced, and you may lose consideration for this position. If you are already a DFAS employee, you may be subject to disciplinary action up to and including removal from Federal service.
Eligible candidates will then be placed for selection consideration into 3 categories as described below:
- Qualified Category. Meets the minimum qualifications and demonstrates minimum experience and/or training only based on responses to occupational questionnaire.
- Highly Qualified Category. Meets the minimum qualification requirements and demonstrates full-performance level experience based on responses to occupational questionnaire.
- Best Qualified Category. Meets the minimum qualification requirements and demonstrates experience as an expert in the field or recognized as a senior specialist, team lead, etc.
Application of Veterans Preference: The Category Rating Method does not add veterans' preference points or apply the "rule of three," but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligible's who meet minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-9 grade level or higher. A selecting official may make selections from the highest quality category (Best Qualified) provided no preference eligible in that category is passed over to select a non-preference eligible in that category unless the requirements of 5 U.S.C. 3317(b) or 3318(b) are satisfied.
The Assessment Questionnaire takes approximately 15 minutes to complete and collects information on your education, training and experience related to the following critical competencies:
- Accounting Concepts, Policies and Principles - Apply federal accounting standards, fiscal law, policies, regulations, principles, standards, internal controls and procedures to financial management activities.
- Financial Reporting - Prepare, review and reconcile financial statements and financial reports to meet reporting requirements and to support management decisions.
- Accounting Analysis - Analyze, evaluate and review accounting data and reports using business tools and applications, and performance metrics to provide recommendations.
- Financial Management Systems - Utilize integrated federal financial management systems and sub-systems to extract data, identify and resolve system problems, and maintain data integrity.
- Communication - Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
DFAS recognizes the value of competencies gained through formal education and professional certifications. To ensure that consistent credit is given for these credentials in the selection process DFAS has developed standard selection criteria to be used when filling positions in professional and administrative series. Selections for professional and administrative positions will be based on four categories of selection criteria: Experience, Other, Education, and Certifications.
IMPORTANT NOTE - YOU MUST FOLLOW ALL APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY. ERRORS OR OMISSIONS MAY AFFECT YOUR RATING.
All information included in the resume and Occupational Questionnaire is subject to review and verification. HR will review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the minimum qualification requirements. Applicants meeting the minimum requirements will be further evaluated by information provided in the Occupational Questionnaire. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have misrepresented your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position and, if you're already an employee, you may be subject to disciplinary action up to and including removal from Federal service.