Do you want to perform challenging work in a collegial environment, while enjoying quality of life and a competitive compensation package? Invest in your career at the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)!
The SEC's mission is to protect investors, maintain fair, orderly, and efficient markets, and facilitate capital formation. The agency seeks high-caliber professionals who share our values of integrity, fairness, accountability, resourcefulness, teamwork, and commitment to excellence.
To find out more, go to http://www.sec.gov
The SEC offers a number of enhanced pay and benefits plus the standard Federal benefits:
- Paid dental and vision insurance.
- Increased agency subsidy for health insurance which supplements your health benefits premiums by $25 for self-only coverage, and $50 for family coverage.
- Domestic Partner Health Insurance Reimbursement Program
- Mass transportation subsidy up to $245 per month.
- Telework Opportunities
This position is in the Division for Economic and Risk Analysis located in Washington, DC.
The Division of Economic and Risk Analysis (DERA) was created in September 2009 to integrate financial economics and rigorous data analytics into the core mission of the SEC. The Division is involved across the entire range of SEC activities, including policy-making, rule-making, enforcement, and examination. As the agency's "think tank," DERA relies on a variety of academic disciplines, quantitative and non-quantitative approaches, and knowledge of market institutions and practices to help the Commission approach complex matters in a fresh light. DERA also assists in the Commission's efforts to identify, analyze, and respond to risks and trends, including those associated with new financial products and strategies. Through the range and nature of its activities, DERA serves the critical function of promoting collaborative efforts throughout the agency and breaking through silos that might otherwise limit the impact of the agency's institutional expertise.
If selected, you will join a well-respected team that is responsible for providing legal advice, counsel, and recommendations for a highly sophisticated and sensitive area involving SEC programs and operations.
Typical Duties Include:
- Serving as an expert legal advisor providing legal advice to management and staff on a wide range of issues related to the Division of Economic and Risk Analysis, such as the laws and regulations governing the federal rule making process, including the Administrative Procedure Act (APA); economic analysis in support of agency policymaking; and other topics central to the mission of the Division.
- Designing and developing innovative solutions to address a wide variety of legal issues that often involve novel or unexplored questions of law or policy.
- In the capacity of legal advisor to the Division of Economic and Risk Analysis, attending and participating in meetings and conferences where crucial policy formulation, procedural development, and program planning matters are discussed and agency positions developed.
- Communicating with agency officials at all levels, including supervisors and coworkers, staff in private industry, Congressional staff, and staff of other agencies.
- Demonstrating the ability to organize work, set priorities, and determine short- or long-term goals and strategies to achieve them.
- Working independently with minimal supervision to accomplish work objectives, including in ambiguous or unclear situations throughout the agency and breaking through silos that might otherwise limit the impact of the agency's institutional expertise.