The requirements of the Qualifications Standards for the Professional and Scientific positions for the Consumer Safety Officer's GS-0696 series:
A. Successful completion of a full 4 year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree, which include at least 30 semester hours in or a combination of the following fields: biological sciences, chemistry, pharmacy, physical sciences, food technology, nutrition, medical science, engineering, epidemiology, veterinary medical science, or related scientific fields that provide knowledge directly related to the consumer safety officer work. The 30 semester hours can include application of computers or computer programming. OR,
B. Combination of education and experience - - courses consisting of at least 30 semester hours in the field of study described in A above plus, appropriate experience or additional education.
Specialized experience is experience that equips the applicant with the knowledge, skill and ability to perform the duties of the position and it typically related to the work of the position to be filled. To be creditable specialized experience must be equivalent to the next lower grade level. Specialized experience can be identified through knowledge of the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act and regulated laws and regulations to manage, plan, direct and administer the function of an office mission.
To be creditable applicant must have one year (52 weeks) of specialized experience at the GS-13 grade level.
Time in Grade Requirement:
Applicant must have one year (52 weeks) at the GS-13 grade level to be eligible for the GS-14 grade level.
Documenting experience: In accordance with Office of Personnel Management policy, federal employees are assumed to have gained experience by performing duties and responsibilities appropriate for their official series and grade level as described in their position description. Experience that would not normally be part of the employee's position is creditable, however, when documented by satisfactory evidence, such as a signed memorandum from the employee's supervisor or an SF-50 or SF-52 documenting an official detail or other official assignment. The documentation must indicate whether the duties were performed full time or, if part time, the percentage of times the other duties were performed. It is expected that this documentation is included in the employee's official personnel record. In order to receive credit for experience in your resume that is not within the official series and grade level of your official position, you must provide a copy of the appropriate documentation of such experience as indicated above.
This position has an education requirement. If you are currently or were previously on a permanent appointment in this occupational series, you do not need to submit transcripts at this time of application. Instead, you should submit a SF-50 showing that you were on a appointment is this occupational series. Otherwise, you must submit a copy of your transcripts (or a list of your courses including titles, credit hours completed and grades) to document that you have met the education requirement. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted in the application package. Official transcripts will be required prior to a selection for the position. Most colleges and universities offer unofficial transcripts on line - please check your school website to obtain a copy quickly.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov.
Conditions of Employment:
1. Additional Security and Background Requirements: May be referred depending on the position being filled. If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
3. Financial disclosure statement may be required.
Certain positions within the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) are subject to restrictions on financial holdings specifically FDA regulated financial holdings. This position could be subject to these restrictions. During the application and interview process, the prior to accepting this position we advise applicants to seek additional information from the FDA Ethics Office at (301) 796-8435.
4. Moving expenses may be authorized pending availability of funds.
5. Bargaining Unit Position: No
6. Drug Screening Required: No
7. Recruitment Bonus may be authorized: No
8. Research position: No
9. Supervisory position: Yes
The selectee for this position will be required to serve a one-year supervisor/managerial probationary period unless this requirement was previously met.
10. Applicant must have a valid driver's license.
11. Time in grade (TIG) must be met within 30 days of the closing date of the announcement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of the resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Your qualifications will be evaluated and rated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
- Ability to plan, organize, lead and oversee major initiatives, progress, and programmatic results.
- Ability to apply laws, guidance, consultation and interpretation of office policies.
- Knowledge of management, administrative, supervisory and teaming practices and procedures.
- Ability to communicate orally.
- Skill in written communication.