Do you desire to protect American interests and secure our Nation while building a meaningful and rewarding career? If so, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling. DHS components work collectively to prevent terrorism, secure borders, enforce and administer immigration laws, safeguard cyberspace and ensure resilience to disasters. The vitality and magnitude of this mission is achieved by a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
Building on a Tradition of Excellence and Meeting the Challenges of the Future The Secret Service is a premier law enforcement organization with two critical national security missions: protect our nation's leaders and to conduct criminal investigations. Our team members continue a tradition of excellence - whether investigating financial crime or protecting national and visiting foreign leaders. In the Secret Service, we serve the country with duty, loyalty, justice, integrity and courage. In the Secret Service, we:
- Protect the President, the Vice President, and other leaders; investigate threats against them; and safeguard their residences and other facilities
- Plan and implement security designs for National Special Security Events
- Investigate financial crimes including fraud, identity theft and computer-based attacks on banking or telecommunications infrastructure
Joining the US Secret Service Office of Technical Development and Mission Support, Technical Security Division (TSD) will allow you to develop state-of-the-art protective and investigative equipment, procedures, and countermeasures. Scientists and engineers of the US Secret Service use an integrated approach to ensure the safety of protectees and facilities. The Technical Security Division (TSD) provides a technically secure environment for the President, Vice President, and other protectees. TSD employees plan for and provide protection against the full spectrum of potential threats through robust prevention, preparedness, detection, and response. This Civil Engineer position starts at a salary of $89,033 (GS-13, step 1), with promotion potential to $136,771 (GS-14, step 10). For more information on the Secret Service click here. For definitions of terms found in this announcement, please click here.
The selectee will serve as a Civil Engineer in the Technical Security Division. Typical work assignments include:
- Developing and executing short and long range plans, goals and objectives of the Engineering Research and Development Branch; developing, executing and monitoring the program budget, proposals and contracts; serving as the Contracting Officer’s Technical Representative (COTR). Planning and monitoring engineering projects for the Division; advising on implications and feasibility of programs; exercising internal controls and assuring safety effectiveness.
- Serving as an expert technical advisor internally and externally; briefing employees, supervisors and other officials.
- Assuring the feasibility and application of scientific studies and advances in protective and investigative technologies.
- Developing and recommending plans for future initiatives, proposals, projects, and activities; presenting and justifying the most feasible approach for recommended programs.