Job Title: Senior Health Information Privacy Enforcement SpecialistJob Announcement Number: HHS-OCR-MP-13-930095
Department: Department Of Health And Human Services
Agency: Office of the Secretary of Health and Human Services
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Tuesday, August 06, 2013 to
Tuesday, August 20, 2013
SERIES & GRADE:
Full Time -
1 vacancy in the following location:
Washington DC, DC United StatesView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
Status Candidates (Merit Promotion and VEOA Eligibles)
Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
Who May Apply: Federal employees with career or career-conditional appointments in the competitive service; former Federal employees with reinstatement eligibility based on previous career or career-conditional appointments; displaced Federal employees requesting special priority selection consideration under the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) and the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP); veterans who are preference eligibles or who have been separated under honorable conditions after 3 years or more of continuous active service; Military Spouses; individuals eligible for VRA appointments (at the GS-11 and below grade levels); and individuals with disabilities.
This position is located in the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Office of the Secretary (OS), Office for Civil Rights (OCR), located in Washington, DC.
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement HHS-OCR-DE-13-930093 under competitive procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under competitive procedures. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
This announcement may be used to fill multiple positions.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
DUTIES:Back to top
Incumbent will provide functional leadership, oversight, supervision, and coordination necessary to plan, execute and resolve compliance and enforcement related to the privacy and security of health information. Meet with officials within and outside of the agency to discuss problems, proposals, or plans related to administration and enforcement of the Health Information Privacy and security rules. Interpret recently enacted laws, court decisions and rules affecting medical and health information programs. Speak for and represent the organization in senior level health information meetings, committees and task forces with prominent groups from the Federal or Private Sector. Develop work plans, makes assignments, serve as mentor and coach to employees. Provide advice and consultation to senior management, regulatory partners, and Congressional staff promoting voluntary compliance of Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) regulations. Implement and manage the expanded enforcement scope of the privacy and security requirements under HIPAA pursuant to the Health Information Technology for Economics and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
I have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-14 grade level or higher in the Federal service that included: providing functional leadership, oversight, supervision, and coordination necessary to plan and execute activities necessary to timely process and resolve complaints to determine compliance with and enforce the privacy and safeguards provisions related to individually identifiable health information.
Documenting experience: In accordance with Office of Personnel Management policy, federal employees are assumed to have gained experience by performing duties and responsibilities appropriate for their official series and grade level as described in their position description. Experience that would not normally be part of the employee's position is creditable, however, when documented by satisfactory evidence, such as a signed memorandum from the employee's supervisor or an SF-50 or SF-52 documenting an official detail or other official assignment. The documentation must indicate whether the duties were performed full time or, if part time, the percentage of times the other duties were performed. It is expected that this documentation is included in the employee's official personnel record. In order to receive credit for experience in your resume that is not within the official series and grade level of your official position, you must provide a copy of the appropriate documentation of such experience as indicated above.
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
5. Financial disclosure statement may be required.
6. One-year probationary period may be required.
7. Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will be paid: No
8. Bargaining Unit Position: No
9. Drug Screening Required: No
10. Recruitment incentives may be authorized: No
11. Time in grade (TIG) must be met within 30 days of the closing date of the announcement.
12. Student loan repayment incentive authorized: No
13. Annual leave for non-federal service authorized: No
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of the resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
1. Knowledge of regulations and laws regarding Health Information Privacy laws, safeguards and requirements.
2. Skill in establishing and maintaining interpersonal relationships with diverse groups.
3. Ability to manage, supervise or lead a team.
4. Ability to Communicate Orally.
5. Ability to communicate in Writing.