Job Title:Deputy Federal Security Director - SV-0340-K
Department:Department Of Homeland Security
Agency:Transportation Security Administration
Job Announcement Number:HQ-OSO-13-652546
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Tuesday, July 30, 2013 to
Monday, August 12, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time -
|1 vacancy in the following location:|
San Francisco, CA, USView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
Open to all U.S. Citizens.
Salary range listed includes Locality Pay of 35.15%.
PLEASE NOTE: PAY RATES ARE CAPPED AT $172,550.00 BY LAW.
This position is located in San Francisco, CA.
Do you desire to protect American interests and secure our Nation while building a meaningful and rewarding career? If so, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling. DHS components work collectively to prevent terrorism, secure borders, enforce and administer immigration laws, safeguard cyberspace and ensure resilience to disasters. The vitality and magnitude of this mission is achieved by a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
Securing Travel, Protecting People - At the Transportation Security Administration, you will serve in a high-stakes environment to safeguard the American way of life. In cities across the country, you would secure airports, seaports, railroads, highways, and/or public transit systems, thus protecting America's transportation infrastructure and ensuring freedom of movement for people and commerce. For additional information about our agency please:
- You must possess U.S. Citizenship or be a U.S. National.
- You must complete a favorable Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI).
- You must be able to obtain and maintain a Top Secret Clearance.
- You must pass Drug and Alcohol Screening, subject to random drug tests.
- Disclosure of your financial information is required.
- This is an Emergency Essential position.
DUTIES:Back to top
As a Deputy Federal Security Director (DFSD) for the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), your duties will include:
- Supporting the Federal Security Director (FSD) by providing day-to-day direction for Federal airport security staff and operations.
- Supporting security evolution and ensuring the deployment, management and oversight of people, processes and technology to improve security operations while enhancing the experience of the traveling public and the work experience of the airport workforce.
- Instilling trust, loyalty, pride and teamwork at the airport while ensuring performance accountability.
- Communicating clearly, concisely and collaboratively in order to ensure effective airport operations.
- Establishing an open learning environment.
- Fostering a role-based, collaborative organization that networks freely to accomplish the mission.
- Creating a culture that supports an exceptional workforce through empowerment, use of risk-based decision making, and coaching/mentoring.
- Managing with integrity, honesty, and knowledge that promotes the culture, values and mission of TSA.
- Providing risk assessments, tactical planning, execution and operating management for coordinated security services.
- Developing and maintaining a collaborative environment within TSA and with TSA stakeholders to effectively manage security operations.
- Ensuring the application and promotion of the Integrated Conflict Management System (ICMS) core principles and standards into all operational plans, processes and practices.
- Providing oversight and management of passenger, baggage and air cargo security programs.
- Organizing and implementing crisis and incident management response plans and preparing the Federal Security Crisis Management Response Plan.
- Assessing risk and providing optimal communication to the workforce to ensure personnel have the information needed to effectively make decisions regarding passenger security.
- Developing, supporting and promoting performance accountability standards through the development of key performance measures and the staff's performance plans.
- Providing staff with coaching, feedback and developmental opportunities, and building effective teams.
- Actively managing airport operations using risk assessments to determine threats and guiding an empowered workforce that is capable of utilizing a variety of tools (e.g., standard operating procedures, intuition, situation assessment skills, teammates, flexibility, cooperative problem solving and decision making) to mitigate threats.
- Applying collaborative, strength based organizational management techniques to ensure thorough coordination, oversight and management of TSA security activities.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
To qualify for the SV-K Pay Band, (equivalent to the GS-15), you must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the SV-J Pay Band or GS-14 in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private sector. Specialized experience is defined as experience that has equipped you with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position, and is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. Such experience includes managing programs related to corporate security, aviation security, force protection, law enforcement, or other equivalent security/law enforcement programs, including assisting with staff or activities, or functioning within established staff levels and budget.
NOTE: Credit for experience is given based on a 40-hour work week. Part-time experience is credited on a part-time ratio, i.e., working 20 hours per week for two months equals one month of experience. No additional credit is given for overtime.
You must meet the qualification requirements for this position no later than the closing date of the vacancy announcement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
You will be evaluated based on a comparison of the position requirements against the quality and extent of the experience and/or related education as reflected in your resume and supporting documentation. You are encouraged to ensure work experiences clearly show possession of the competencies required for this position. We will compare your resume and supporting documentation to your responses on the assessment questionnaire. If, after reviewing your resume and any supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have rated yourself higher than is supported by your application materials, your category placement may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this job.
When completing the assessment questionnaire for this position, you will be prompted to elect if you wish for your application to be considered as External (where Veterans' Preference applies), as Status (current or former Federal Employees), and/or Internal to TSA as a current permanent or competitive temporary employee. At that time, please select the answer(s) that apply to you and your application to this position.
To preview questions please click here.
BENEFITS:Back to top
DHS offers competitive salaries and an attractive benefits package, including: health, dental, vision, life, and long-term care insurance; retirement plan; Thrift Savings Plan [similar to a 401(k)]; Flexible Spending Account; Employee Assistance Program; personal leave days; and paid federal holidays. Other benefits may include: flexible work schedules; telework; tuition reimbursement; transportation subsidies; uniform allowance; health and wellness programs; and fitness centers. DHS is committed to employee development and offers a variety of employee training and developmental opportunities. For more information, go to www.dhs.gov/careers
and select "benefits."
Eligibility to apply for other Federal positions: TSA is an Excepted Service agency exempt from most of Title 5 United States Code, including regulations which apply to displaced Federal employees (CTAP/ICTAP) of other agencies, and employment with TSA does not confer "Competitive Status" that generally results from selection and service in Competitive Service agencies. The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) has established an Interchange Agreement, which allows most permanent TSA employees to apply and be considered for vacancies in Competitive Service agencies. Information from OPM on this or other Interchange Agreements is available at: http://www.opm.gov.
To ensure the accomplishment of our mission, DHS requires every employee to be reliable and trustworthy. To meet those standards, all selected applicants must undergo and successfully pass a background investigation as a condition of placement into this position.
TSA employees who are absent for the purpose of performing military duty may apply for any vacancies announced in their absence.
Payment of relocation expenses (Permanent Change of Station) is authorized. Qualified non-competitive eligible candidates may be referred for consideration on a separate, unranked list. More than one position may be filled from this announcement.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
Please Note: All of the following must be received in our office by 11:59 PM EST (Eastern Standard Time) on the closing date of this announcement. If we do not receive all required information by the closing date, your application may not be considered.
Your application must include:
2. Self Assessment Questionnaire for this position
3. Applicable supporting documents (see Required Documents Section)
Click the "Apply Online" button below and follow the prompts to apply.
We strongly encourage you to apply online. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the TSA HRAccess Help Desk before the closing of this announcement for alternative options on how to apply. The Help Desk is available by phone at 1-877-872-7990 between the hours of: 7:00AM - 8:00PM ET Monday - Friday, 10:00AM - 3:00PM ET Saturday, or 11:00AM - 4:00PM ET Sunday. If outside these hours, please email your question or concern to Helpdesk@TSA-HRAccess.com or fax 1-877-872-7993.
When contacting the Help Desk please provide your contact information, the Job Announcement Number of the position you are interested in, and your questions or concerns.
In addition to a resume and the assessment questions, you must submit copies of any of the following documents if you are applying based on current or former Federal Government Status (if you are not a current TSA employee), Veterans' Preference, or education or a combination of education and experience:
SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action - Current TSA employees are not required to submit an SF-50 to support eligibility for internal/status consideration.
If you are not a current TSA employee: you must submit your most recent personnel action SF-50 (or equivalent document) to support your eligibility for Status consideration. If you elect Status for the consideration of your application without submitting an SF-50 demonstrating your current or previous permanent Federal employment status, and you are not a current TSA employee, your application may not receive Status consideration.
DD-214 - If you are claiming Veterans' Preference, provide a copy of your DD-214 (Member Copy 4) Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, or other appropriate documentation to prove your entitlement and to provide verification of an Honorable Discharge. Failure to provide this documentation will result in your application not receiving 5-point preference.
SF-15 and VA Letter - If you are claiming Veterans' Preference based upon a Compensable Disability, Widow or Spouse Entitlement, or as a Purple Heart recipient, you must submit your DD-214 or other proof of entitlement; an SF-15, and the required proof of disability, i.e., Department of Veterans Affairs letter dated 1991 or later. Failure to provide this documentation will result in your application not receiving 10-point preference.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
The questionnaire will assess your qualifications for the job, and will be used to identify the best qualified applicants to be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. We will notify you of the outcome of these steps when they have been completed. You may also check your application status by visiting the Candidate Dashboard.