This Dental Assistant position is located in Dental Service at the VA Medical Center, Chillicothe, OH. This Dental Assistant position will be responsible for performing the duties in a hospital-based dental clinic. Assists in management of patient treatment. As directed by the dentist, the assistant will take digital radiographs and enter examination and treatment plan information into the dental record. He/she enters appropriate CPT and Diagnosis codes used in the progress note documentation. The dental assistant will triage patients to determine the urgency of appointments being scheduled. He/she assures proper disposition of patient is related to the clerk for appropriate scheduling. Assures that appropriate disposition is communicated to the patient. The major duties, but not limited to:
· Employee may be required to pour stone models from and perform other minor types of dental laboratory procedures to assist the dentist prosthodontically.
· Incumbent to enter data into excel spreadsheets or other Microsoft program.
· Performs any other procedure in line with established dental assisting techniques, including acting as a receptionist when needed. Has knowledge of the computerized dental record and privacy requirements related to the maintenance and restriction of release of information from the patients record. Assists in data collection for the Homeless Dental Program. Participates in Homeless Standown.
· Uses, maintains and stores dental equipment and materials in a clean and operative condition. Properly stores adequate levels of supplies in the treatment rooms. If, at any time, the incumbent notices any supplies running low in the supply room, he/she immediately notifies the responsible person so that supplies can be reordered. Properly lays out all instruments and materials needed for each treatment procedure and prepares the patient and operatory for said procedures, strictly adhering to all pertinent infection control policies and procedures.
· Assists dentists, consultants, residents and students chair-side in all phases of general dentistry including specialized areas of prosthodontics (fixed and removable), endodontic, oral surgery, and implant procedures utilizing techniques of four handed dentistry where indicated and appropriate. Anticipates the operators need at each stage of the procedure, performs the following: passes instruments and materials to and retrieves them from the dentist; illuminates the operative field, retracts and stabilizes tissues, keeps operative field free of debris using irrigating solutions, suction tips and evacuator, applies force to chisel and cuts sutures. Takes alginate impressions, mixes various types of dental materials according to manufacturers instructions Helps apply rubber dam and place cotton rolls to isolate operative site during restorative treatment.
· When surgical procedures are being performed, the incumbent assists the dentist, resident, student or consultant while the patient is under local anesthesia which include: simple and complex extractions including full and partial bony impactions; reductions of tori and tuberosities (pre-prosthetic surgeries); endosseous implant placement; apicoectomies; removal of stones in the salivary gland ducts; osseous and other periodontal surgeries including oral graft procedures and excisional biopsies. Assists in monitoring patients by noting vital signs. Adheres to necessary aseptic precautions and infection control procedures throughout treatment.
· Following surgery, debrides the surgical site, prepares surgical dressings and removes contaminated instruments and materials. Assures that proper post-operative instructions are communicated to the patient prior to their departure. Packages tissue specimen and routes to pathology laboratory.
Tour of Duty: This position may require evenings and/or weekends.
Licensure/Certificate: Must possess an active Dental Radiographer's License. An active CPR certification preferred but not required.
Relocation Expenses: Relocation expenses are not authorized for this position.