Do you desire to protect American interests and secure our Nation while building a meaningful and rewarding career? If so, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling. DHS components work collectively to prevent terrorism, secure borders, enforce and administer immigration laws, safeguard cyberspace and ensure resilience to disasters. The vitality and magnitude of this mission is achieved by a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
Securing Travel, Protecting People - At the Transportation Security Administration, you will serve in a high-stakes environment to safeguard the American way of life. In cities across the country, you would secure airports, seaports, railroads, highways, and/or public transit systems, thus protecting America's transportation infrastructure and ensuring freedom of movement for people and commerce. For additional information about our agency please:
This position is located in the Financial Management Analysis Branch, Financial Management Division, Office of Finance and Administration (OFA), Transportation Security Administration (TSA), Department of Homeland Security (DHS). If selected for this position, you will serve as a Statistical Accounting Analyst in the Financial Management Analysis Branch. You will assist the branch chief in the preparation of the monthly fluctuation analyses for the DHS and internal and external auditors. This preparation will include deep analysis of trends data in capitalized costs for year-to-year, quarter-to-quarter, and month-to-month fluctuations. You will use your comprehensive technical knowledge of new statistical theories and methods, such as linear regression and moving average, to perform multiple, varying, and complex assignments as a principal technical specialist, project manager, or team leader for large statistical analysis activities using SAS statistical software. Typical assignments include:
- Working with the Financial Systems Branch, leading in the development and maintenance of an automated cost research and analysis tool that dissects costs across different lines of accounting, object classes, vendor names and types, and other reporting attributes for effective, efficient, and timely trends summarization. Developing and maintaining a communication network that provides business information exchanges to corroborate key budget and cost information supporting trend analyses. Providing meaningful trend reports to management and executives as needed. Serving as the subject matter expert and liaison for internal and external audits.
- Ensuring the precision of statistically supported financial reporting by working directly with contract statisticians to review and adjust statistical models, tables, and reports that support statistics-based accounts payable estimates and other statistical projections developed and maintained within the Financial Management Division. Validating the models developed by the contract statisticians.
- Providing quality assurance reviews of statistical samples used to make financial estimates and their supporting documentation. Researching in the accounting system to resolve documentation issues.
- Ensuring that TSA's complex accounting transactions for real property and leases are processed in accordance with the U.S. Standard General Ledger (USSGL). Ensuring that balances in the Fixed Asset (FA) Module and supporting schedules are reconciled to the balances reported in the general ledger on a monthly basis, and that differences are identified and resolved.
- Reviewing and analyzing abnormal balances in quarterly TIER Accounts Payable (AP) estimates submission. Preparing correcting entries that are compliant with the USSGL and other DHS financial reporting requirements.
- Researching financial and accounting issues and presenting findings and recommendations to management. Issuing range from statistical data mining analyses to systems implementation data reconciliation.
- Reviewing and updating operating procedures on an annual basis and creating standard operating procedures for new processes.