Do you desire to protect American interests and secure our Nation while building a meaningful and rewarding career? If so, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling. DHS components work collectively to prevent terrorism, secure borders, enforce and administer immigration laws, safeguard cyberspace and ensure resilience to disasters. The vitality and magnitude of this mission is achieved by a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
Apply for this exciting position to support the CG missions of safeguarding our Nation's maritime interests in the heartland, in the ports, at sea, and around the globe.
For over two centuries the The U.S. Coast Guard has protected the maritime economy and the environment, we defend our maritime borders, and we save those in peril. This history has forged our character and purpose as America's Maritime Guardian - Always Ready for all hazards and all threats.
The vacancy is being concurrently advertised under merit promotion procedures for status applicants under announcement 13-1694-NE-KB-M-R1. APPLICANTS WISHING TO BE CONSIDERED UNDER BOTH DELEGATED EXAMINING AND MERIT PROMOTION PROCEDURES MUST APPLY TO BOTH VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENTS.
NOTE: YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS DELEGATED EXAMINING VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT WILL ONLY ALLOW CONSIDERATION FOR THIS ANNOUNCEMENT. WE CANNOT ELECTRONICALLY OR MANUALLY MOVE YOUR APPLICATION TO THE CONCURRENTLY ADVERTISED MERIT PROMOTION ANNOUNCEMENT. PLEASE ENSURE YOU ARE APPLYING UNDER THE CORRECT ANNOUNCEMENT.
This position is located in the Occupational Safety and Health Branch of the U.S. Coast Guard Yard in Baltimore, MD.
You will be responsible for planning and administering an industrial hygiene and occupational health program for the Coast Guard's shipyard, which is a highly hazardous and complex industrial operation.
Being a Coast Guard civilian makes you a valuable member of the Coast Guard team. Typical work assignments include:
- Advising and providing consultative services to the Safety and Occupational Health Staff, managers, supervisors, engineering personnel, and medical personnel on industrial hygiene and occupational health matters affecting all civilian and military Yard and tenant command employees.
- Planning, developing, monitoring and implementing comprehensive industrial hygiene and occupational health programs for the Yard which includes monitoring solutions to occupational health problems and innovative approaches to protect health of Yard personnel.
- Directing and/or performing periodic industrial hygiene surveys in the work environment.
- Advising managers and supervisors of specific operational procedures needed for the control or elimination of occupational health hazards.
- Planning and directing environmental studies concerning air pollution control.
- Developing training programs and conducting occupational health training for supervisors and workers.
- Identifying positions and duties that may involve health hazards and insures personnel performing such duties are included in the Occupational Medical Surveillance and Evaluation Program.
- Preparing and managing specifications needed to contract for complete laboratory analysis of industrial hygiene samples taken in support of work environment monitoring.
- Calibrating and maintaining industrial hygiene sampling instruments, developing and/or modifying sampling methods, evaluates survey results and prepares related reports for the Commanding Officer, the Safety and Occupational Health Manager, and other officials.