Basic Requirements: Degree in industrial hygiene; or a branch of engineering, physical science, or life science that included 12 semester hours in chemistry, including organic chemistry, and 18 additional semester hours of courses in any combination of chemistry, physics, engineering, health physics, environmental health, biostatistics, biology, physiology, toxicology, epidemiology, or industrial hygiene. Courses in the history or teaching of chemistry are not acceptable. OR A combination of education and experience with at least 12 semester hours of course work in chemistry, including organic chemistry, and 18 additional semester hours as specified above, plus appropriate experience or additional education. In additional to the experience/education listed above, applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-11 level in the Federal service.
Specialized experience is experience that has equipped you with the particular ability, skill, and knowledge to successfully perform the duties of this position and is typically in or related to this line of work. Examples of qualifying experience may have been obtained in field, laboratory, engineering, or other environmental if the work provided a means of obtaining a professional knowledge of the theory and application of the principles of industrial hygiene and closely related sciences such as physics and engineering controls. Such work must have involved experience in all of the following areas: the acquisition of quantitative and qualitative data, and the measurement of exposures for a variety of chemical, physical, and biological stresses; the analysis of the data acquired and the prediction of probably effects of exposures on the health and well-being of workers; and the selection and recommendation of appropriate controls, including management, medical, engineering, education or training, and personal protective equipment.
This position does have a positive education requirement.
If you are including education on your resume, report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
We will review your résumé and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. If you meet the minimum qualifications, your experience, education and training will be rated using the on-line assessment to place you in one of three categories. The necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities to perform this job are:
1) Knowledge of industrial hygiene and occupational health concepts, principles and practices applicable to plan, develop and implement an industrial hygiene and occupational health program for a maritime activity with highly hazardous and complex industrial processes, and to provide constructive services to management and technical personnel.
2) Knowledge required to recognize and evaluate occupational health hazards via application of scientific principles, and apply new developments to problems for which existing guidelines or techniques are inadequate.
3) Ability to devise a variety of control measures, including ventilation, shielding, material substitution, change in work procedures, isolation, education, personal protective equipment and clothing and the management of waste materials.
4) Skill in the use of the full range of industrial hygiene sampling techniques and instrumentation.
If you meet the minimum qualifications, you will be placed in one of the following categories: To preview questions please click here.
1. Best Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a superior level of all evaluation criteria.
2. Well Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a satisfactory level of the evaluation criteria.
3. Qualified: Applicants possessing the basic qualifications, with general knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Your resume and responses to the self-assessment questions are an integral part of the process for determining your qualifications for the position. Therefore, you must support your responses to the self-assessment questions by providing examples of past and present experience in your resume.
Veterans with 5-point preference who meet the eligibility and qualification requirements are placed above non-preference eligibles within the category in which they are qualified. Veterans who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10% are listed in the best qualified category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-09 grade level or higher. For information on veterans' preference, click here.