- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- To Qualify at the GS-8 level, the incumbent MUST possess at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level (GS-7) with responsibilities close to the work of this position that has given the incumbent the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities required to successfully perform the duties of this position.
Specialized Experience: Examples of preferred experience include the assignment of work, performance evaluations, selection of staff, and recommendations for awards and advancements; organizing work, setting priorities, and delegating tasks and responsibilities in order to meet deadlines; communicating skillfully with individuals in order to obtain the desired effect, while ensuring compliance with established policies and regulations; managing staff requirements, managing priorities, and coordinating work in order to complete duties in an accurate and timely manner; providing briefings, orientations, staff development, and training; advising and providing counsel to employees regarding policies, procedures, and directives; evaluating new products, equipment, and systems in order to make recommendations for improved operations; identifying educational and training needs; making final decisions on selections; evaluating performance; and taking disciplinary action when necessary.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
Demonstrated Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities. Candidates must demonstrate the KSAs below:
1. Ability to provide the full range of administrative and supervisory duties which includes assignment of work,performance evaluations, selection of staff, and recommendation of awards and/or advancements.
2. Ability to collaborate, communicate, and demonstrate customer service and interpersonal skills with all health care professionals to ensure quality/continuity of care and ensure compliance with established policies and regulations.
3. Ability to provide briefings, orientations, staff development, and training.
4. Ability to manage fiscal matters, forecast resource and equipment needs,and identify budget needs.
References: VA Handbook 5005/53; Part II; Appendix G45
PLEASE NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement.) Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements: Work is usually performed in an office type setting, close to or on an inpatient area. A moderate amount of walking, sitting, bending, standing, carrying items such as reams of papers, charts, files, toners, labels, ink rolls, pamphlets, forms, and other miscellaneous items is required. Stocking office supplies for Ward Administration would also include lifting boxes and stacking boxes of ordered items.Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation.
Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veterans Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. For more information, please review the information for disabled Veterans in the application checklist or visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application, résumé and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.