Do you desire to protect American interests and secure our Nation while building a meaningful and rewarding career? If so, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling. DHS components work collectively to prevent terrorism, secure borders, enforce and administer immigration laws, safeguard cyberspace and ensure resilience to disasters. The vitality and magnitude of this mission is achieved by a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
Apply for this exciting position to support the CG missions of safeguarding our Nation's maritime interests in the heartland, in the ports, at sea, and around the globe.
For over two centuries the The U.S. Coast Guard has protected the maritime economy and the environment, we defend our maritime borders, and we save those in peril. This history has forged our character and purpose as America's Maritime Guardian - Always Ready for all hazards and all threats.
The vacancy is being concurrently advertised under merit promotion procedures for status applicants in the local commuting area under announcement 13-1590-SE-AM-M. APPLICANTS WISHING TO BE CONSIDERED UNDER BOTH DELEGATED EXAMINING AND MERIT PROMOTION PROCEDURES MUST APPLY TO BOTH VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENTS.
NOTE: YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS DELEGATED EXAMINING VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT WILL ONLY ALLOW CONSIDERATION FOR THIS ANNOUNCEMENT. WE CANNOT ELECTRONICALLY OR MANUALLY MOVE YOUR APPLICATION TO THE CONCURRENTLY ADVERTISED MERIT PROMOTION ANNOUNCEMENT. PLEASE ENSURE YOU ARE APPLYING UNDER THE CORRECT ANNOUNCEMENT.
This position is located at DHS/U. S. Coast Guard, Director of Logistics, Base Miami Beach, Personal Property Shipping Office (PPSO), Miami, FL.
The Transportation Assistant provides support to both civilian and military personnel with permanent change of duty station moves. The purpose of this position is to provide counsel and assistance to customers and ensure timely, economical, and procedurally correct preparation of documents to authorize and process transportation services.
Being a CG civilian makes you a valuable member of the CG team. Typical work assignment include:
*Daily usage of Transportation Operational Personal Property Standard System (TOPS).
* Researching and analyzing documents and regulations to determine pre shipment, shipment, and post shipment needs and services.
* Reviewing orders and when issued incorrectly, advises procedure to have orders amended or corrected to receive entitlements.
* Routing and booking shipments into the TOPS computer system, maintain tonnage distribution roster, compare carrier rates and computing cost estimates via various transportation modes.
*Consolidating, rearranging, modifying, or retrieving records stored.
* Ensuring correct spelling and data entry of all pertinent information.
* Maintaining storage in transit (SIT) numbers and delivery out services consistent with the needs of the owner and with the required guidelines.
*Receiving and placing all orders for services of Non-Temporary Storage (NTS). * Reviewing shipments for Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders and relevant documents to determine entitlements to NTS and length of storage period.